Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: When its too hard to play..

When its too hard to play..

HEy guys ive been playing guitar for little over a year now (self taught).Recently if found that im not making anymore progress.I never noticed it before but my friend pointed out that the "action" on my guitar was to high making it very difficult to play.

Now this I know becuase Its hell getting barre Chords on my guitar and a sinch to get it on my friends.I play on a 1974 Yamaha FG-160 acustic.My friend suggest getting a new guitar..I dont have the funds for that.

my question now is how can i adjust the action with out having to adjust it everytime I play?

Amateur gynecologist smallbusrider's Avatar
    if your neck is bowed forward it can cause high action...youcan turn the truss rod in the neck clockwise(only turn a little..no more than 1/8 turn at a time) then tune and play for a while...if problem not solved repeat procedure until it is...do not over tighten rod!!!If it gets difficult to tun, stop!!! then unfortunately, pay a pro to look at it...this is the only fix for an acoustic i can think of that you can do ...the saddle can be adjusted ...but should only be attempted by someone who is a pro

I wouldnt screw with the truss if you dont have any experience doing it....take it to a guitar shop and let them have a look(and if they are nice enough people. get them to show you how to do it).....you dont want to end up having no other option but buying a new guitar, I think....Later,

Ryan

I have to agree that messing with the truss rod is dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. Could snap the neck.

Another option is trading in the guitar for another. You may have to chip in some extra cash with it, but it's one way to cut a deal.....

yes you could trade it in for a guitar that is better....If you have some more dough....I think that is what i would do....but thats just me...