Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Alternate picking

Hybrid View

Posting Rights Suspended

Alternate picking

Now that i think about it, my alternate picking isnt so alternate. I feel like a fool come in here and saying this, bu im really not sure if im doin it right. If im doin a solo, and im picking fast, and i downstroke twice ina row, am i breaking the alternate pick technique? I tend to do this when im going up the strings (kinda like when you sweep). It's a habit, and im not sure if its right or wrong. Does anyone else do ths?? Post up please, ive been wondering about this since the very beginning of my alternate picking time.

Well, if you're doing that it's called economy picking, obviously not alternate. There is nothing wrong with doing that as long as its clean and in time. I would still try to get a good AP technique because its good to have.

Posting Rights Suspended
    thanks bud. If i alternate do i need to alternate EVERYTHING? it would seem kinda weird to upstroe after lets say a whole rest. jsut curious.

Oh well when there's rests and stuff, personally, I would say that's up to you if you wanna keep EVERYTHING alternate. I actually don't really pay attention to whether I keep my picking totally alternate when there's rests, but I think I usually do. It doesn't really matter in my opinion though.

Smile One thing though

If you practice a passage until it's up to speed and you start on a down stroke everytime, you will find your inside or your outside attack will get stronger than the other. If that makes sence.
    It's like playing a Maj scale starting with a down stroke all the time. It is good to practice a scale starting with an upstroke so the inside and outside attacks get an even practice.
    Mark Hitchen

My instructor has stopped making a comment when I break the up/down rhythm. I ask him about this and he said; ".. you've got the idea, now just go play." From that I'd say as long as we do not go back to our old ways, missing one or two up/downs will not matter all that much.