Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Time Signature Help

Time Signature Help

I decided to tab out a song in Powertab today for the hell of it, but I'm having trouble deciding what time signature to use. The song is Fade Into You by Mazzy Star. It's nothing very technical. I'm just experimenting. I've put the original song on my server if you want to hear it.
    http://www.rosrak.com/mazzy_star-fade_into_you.mp3

Anyway, I'm having trouble deciding if it's in 3/4, 12/8, 6/8 etc. I decided to go with 6/8, but I'm still not positive. Here's a bit of the PT I was working on. www.rosrak.com/fadeintoyou.ptb.zip

Sometimes time sigs can seem be such a pain. Seems you can use a number of different ones at times. Is there anyway to know which one to use when it seems like more than one can be used?
    Last edited by primal65; 04-07-2004 at 05:16 AM.

I haven't heard the song in a while, but if I recall it has a 12/8 feel. Sort of like a slow bar of 4/4 with a triplet feel, right? That's my best guess, because(if I'm remembering this right), if you count it 1-2-3, 2-2-3, 3-2-3, 4-2-3 the accents definitely fall on the 2nd and 4th groups.

I like music.
    I tried counting it 6 beats per measure, and it worked, but it didn't have that elliptical feel of 6/8, so I'm going to defer to somebodies better judgement.
    Hard luck and trouble...

Afro-Cuban Grunge-Pop Bongo Boy's Avatar
    Absolutely LOVE that tune. It's a definite 6/8 to me...with beats on the 1 and 4--at leat that's how I'd call it.
    Pulsing the System with Confirmed Nonsense.

I respectfully disagree. If you count while her vocal part is happening it really feels like 12/8, ie 4 groups of 3 to a phrase, or waiting until a group of 4 has gone by before starting the next phrase. That's my story and I'm sticking with it. For a clear cut example of 6/8 try "Judith" by APC - it doesn't have that shuffle-type feel that 12/8 gives.

Afro-Cuban Grunge-Pop Bongo Boy's Avatar
    Yup...I hear that now too, with the beat on 2nd and 4th as makes actual sense. You've helped me more greatly enjoy "the whole trippy Mazzy Star experience."
    Last edited by Bongo Boy; 04-09-2004 at 12:53 AM.
    Pulsing the System with Confirmed Nonsense.