Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Site slowing down?

Exclamation Site slowing down?

I was going to call this something cute like "The need for speed (not picking)" but I was worried no one would read it so I figured I'd call it what it is.

Am I the only one that has noticed the site is significantly slower than it used to be? I like to pop in and read the threads but it's getting to be a pain sitting here waiting for things to load etc. I'm not on a slow machine or connection either (that's probably part of my impatience problem right there.

Any thought's Guni? Weblogs show any bottlenecks? I have noticed it seems like traffic is picking up a lot (good and bad)

-Dan
    "In improvised music you easily can tell who is a guitar player and who is a musician." - Maarten (fellow IBMer)

I have noticed that the site often slows down at a certain time of the day, like i.e. around between 8 and 10 PM EST... during other times of the day, I havenīt noticed a slow-down yet, though
    Guni ?

Eric

I'm on cable and I haven't noticed a thing.

What connections are you two using?

Afro-Cuban Grunge-Pop Bongo Boy's Avatar
    I have a 300KB/s connection and yes, this site in particular has been very slow lately. At times, such as last night, I just don't bother. One recurring symptom is failure to paint all the icons on the forums main page--the icons on the left of the forums list that indicates new messages, and the icon in the last msg posted box at the right-hand side. I have to hit Refresh 2 to 3 times to get them to paint properly. I just attribute this to web technology in general.
    Last edited by Bongo Boy; 04-09-2004 at 04:44 PM.
    Pulsing the System with Confirmed Nonsense.

I've also noticed this at times, but more so when there was an amazon.com ad - that ad usually loaded very slow. The only ads now are google, and they seem to be fast. I'm gonna try to link directly into a non-ad page the next time to see if that helps.

Hmmm.

I'm on a standard 512k ADSL connection at home in South Africa (where we're pretty limited for international bandwidth) and I haven't noticed any times of the day being faster than any others.

The front page loads in between 4-5 secs for me.

Although traffic is increasing, the server itself is still pretty under-utilized. The server was also upgraded at the beginning of the year to twice the spec of last year.

The fact that the performance is fine for some of us and not others points towards particular networks feeling the pinch... I know nothing about this stuff tho ;-) ... Guni ?

Clive

Mine is slower than usual sometimes..
    Do you remember Eagleheart? That's Me...

I also noticed the slowdown. I starting seeing it once the switch to the new message board format was rolled over. Though I like this format better its seems to be slower for me.

yeah it's been slow for me too, I haven't even been able to read the stuff a couple of times, get too tired of waiting for it to load! May be this weird Taiwanese connection, it seems to go a bit wonky sometimes, but just in case..yeah, s'been slow.

I'm on a 2 MB/s connection with a 2 Ghz processor and 512 MB of DDR400 ram, I don't think it's on my end
    "In improvised music you easily can tell who is a guitar player and who is a musician." - Maarten (fellow IBMer)

I'm on a 128k connection, and it's not slow for me. I have a 2.6 GHZ, and 1 GIG of DDR400 ram, and it's not slow here either

2MB/s connections are too damn expensive in NZ.
    Sakkaku
    -Gitarrenmeister-

Well, I honestly can't see any problems with the server - system stats are all fine and we have enough resources to handle 1000 user online at once :-)

I'm on cable and lately I have noticed a decrease in performance in general. Sometimes I can't get to some sites at all - ok, this might be a local problem but maybe there's some overall problem with the internet (if this is possible at all). I will try to dig up some info and contact our server hosting company ...

Guni
    Please don't email or send me private messages with music related questions as they will be ignored. Rather use the forums for this and I will try my best to take part as much as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by DanF
    I'm on a 2 MB/s connection with a 2 Ghz processor and 512 MB of DDR400 ram, I don't think it's on my end
    Dan, you pervert !

Right now it is like running in cold syrup

I noticed that as well ... am on it ...
    Please don't email or send me private messages with music related questions as they will be ignored. Rather use the forums for this and I will try my best to take part as much as I can.