Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Missing Practice Time

Missing Practice Time

Hey all, I'm gonna be going on a trip for a few days and I can't bring my bass (school trip) so I won't be able to practice (which I do religiously) is there anything I can do to keep from not sucking when I get back? I found a harmonica, should I learn a few tunes on that so atleast I keep my head in practice mode or should I try to sneek along my instrument?

Whenever I go anywhere (even a 10 minute car ride :P ) I bring along some music theory articles or practice counting in thirds/fourths/whatevers in different keys, naming a scale or mode and all the notes within, counting backwards and forwards chromatically. Stuff like that. It keeps you thinking like a geeky musician. Also try doing the above while playing it (in your mind) on the fretboard.

Or, just sneek an instrument with you. Wear really baggy pants and try to hide your axe in them.
    click....click....click...click...

The Metronome Calleth

Quote Originally Posted by Axe-aholic
    Whenever I go anywhere (even a 10 minute car ride :P ) I bring along some music theory articles or practice counting in thirds/fourths/whatevers in different keys, naming a scale or mode and all the notes within, counting backwards and forwards chromatically. Stuff like that. It keeps you thinking like a geeky musician. Also try doing the above while playing it (in your mind) on the fretboard.

Or, just sneek an instrument with you. Wear really baggy pants and try to hide your axe in them.
    lol

i dont have anything to add, axe-aholic brings a new meaning to the term "geeky musician" - he's an inspiration to us all.

I agree. Bring some music theory articles. Another thing is learn a new song on guitar without playing it. It's quite simple to do. Just study and remember the tab and when you get back play what you read. Memorize it basically. This is how i learned purple haze by Jimi Hendrix. I learned all but the solo in like a week when i went on a trip and when I came back it took me five minutes ti actually be able to play the whole song without the solo.

Another good way to deal with time away from the instrument is to bring a metronome(esp. one with an earphone) to do rhythmic exercises with. I have found that pretty helpful from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by spooky_wooky
    lol

i dont have anything to add, axe-aholic brings a new meaning to the term "geeky musician" - he's an inspiration to us all.

Aw...shucks...

That's a good suggestion, debaser, I'll have to remember that.
    click....click....click...click...

The Metronome Calleth