Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Violin bow!

Violin bow!

Ok, i have always loved it when Jimmy Page used the violin bow on his guitar. I really have wanted to try this but i have a bad time finding cheap bows and i was wondering if there was more you had to get or do than just getting a bow. Do you have to use resin or not? I know you can only play the bottom and top or all the string at once since the guitar isnt angled like a violin has its strings. Has anyone tried this tech or does this or a bassis? I'd really like some info ^.^. Thanks alot

i'm thinking of doing this as well. my mom's a violin player so there you have it. one thing i know is that if you buy a bow, buy some resin as well, it makes the hair on the bow smoother.

I would consider this more of an effect, but if you wanna try it...
    Page used to put resin onto the bow, and he said that that was a pain in the neck... he said it messed up the strings.
    I dunno though =)
    Eric

I have 2 electrics and i may just use the bow and resin on one of them and keep the other one clean. I'v looked into learning violin so i know about the whole resin deal and how you have to put alot on and stuff. I originally wanted to learn violin but the people said i''d most likely have to get a tutor so i wouldnt get any bad habbits and that i'd need a good violin and i dont have the kind of money for a real good one.

I used to play violin.

One thing I can tell you about resin: it comes off the bow and gets onto the instrument. It gets all over the instrument in a sticky white powder. Also, it has a distinct odor. I never liked the scent of rosin.

Dean o Zepology, Emeritus zeppenwolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GtrvVampyre
    I know you can only play the bottom and top or all the string at once since the guitar isnt angled like a violin has its strings.
    Unless the "you" is Jimmy Page, in which case he did set his (LP "#1") bridge to make every string bow-accessible... but I couldn't infer conclusively from the reference whether that meant just adjusting the little screws, or actually taking the bridge off and whacking it with a hammer or something.

Eden
    Official iBM FAQ Short Form EZ:
    Q: What kind of amp do I need?
    A: Fender Blues DeVille 4x10, Feb 1994
    Q: What kind of guitar do I need?
    A: Hamer Vintage S, 1992

The resin is a reason I'll never use a bow. It's an uncomfortable thing to get allover your hands and stuff. It sticks to the strings which probably does no good for proper resonance of the strings.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppenwolf
    Unless the "you" is Jimmy Page, in which case he did set his (LP "#1") bridge to make every string bow-accessible... but I couldn't infer conclusively from the reference whether that meant just adjusting the little screws, or actually taking the bridge off and whacking it with a hammer or something.

Eden

Actually the videos iv seen of him playing it, i think he has it angles some but when you listen he only plays all the string at once, the lower ones or the higher ones. I never hear him play the ones in the middle and i havnt ever seen his guitar with a bridge that is -Heavily- angled, i know he did have a custom bridge on it tho.

I'm not sure what kind of bridge you have but I noticed if you lower the low e and the high e you can access the a and b strings but resin is a nasty little thing to work with.

Since you are using the bow on a guitar MUST you use resin? I think i remeber hearing someone saying they couldnt get any sound outa if unless they had resin.