Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Slowhand/ Million Notes a Minute

Slowhand/ Million Notes a Minute

I was just wondering if some guitarists are just deemed to be slower players than others (not that its a bad thing). MY friend who has been playing the same amount of time as me can play like a million notes a minute yet I see myself as more of a Clapton player- and am slower.

Do you think some people are just slower or faster for some unkwown reason? I think Malmsteen's great because he's so fast yet prefer Clapton because to me his playing is simply more thought out!!

What do you guys think?

Yup. Different styles at work, if Clapton was playing a style that demanded he learn to play really fast, or if he wanted to play that stuff then he'd have to learn how to do it. He was reasonably fast in his early days with Cream at times, but nothing like what we saw come out of the 80's. Players just didn't have to play as fast before then/nobody did.

Being able to play fast is a nice option, but definately not a necessary one. There are many guitarist who don't play very fast yet produce stunning guitar work. David Gilmour for example, who admits to being a rather slow player.

Quote Originally Posted by primal65
    Being able to play fast is a nice option, but definately not a necessary one. There are many guitarist who don't play very fast yet produce stunning guitar work. David Gilmour for example, who admits to being a rather slow player.
    Right. And I donīt think anyone would complain there. At the same time, I always thought "Ok, I love Gilmours melodic playing, but I also like the fast stuff that and that guy does. Why not combine it ?" Which is a good way of creating your own style.
    And take classical music. I dont hang out at forums about classical music, but at the same time, I dont think people there go "Oh,Perlmann is too fast, he has no feel" or "Oh, Bach was tasteles cuz he wrote all those fast fugues and toccatas".
    Itīs just a tool and should co-exist with melodic and emotional playing. But somehow, especially guitarist tend to isolate those aspects and argue about which one is better all the time.
    I said it yesterday already... I wish those discussions would just go away, I dont see a point
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by DOTLover

I think Malmsteen's great because he's so fast yet prefer Clapton because to me his playing is simply more thought out!!

What do you guys think?

I think Yngwie would disagree with that

playing fast isnt incedably hard, picking the right notes for a solo is (whether they are played fast or slow)

imho

Correct Tom.
    And Yngwie once said that when you slow down his licks, they still sound good, cuz theyīre melodic.. all those sweep-licks and pedaltone-melodies sound pretty good at a slow tempo, too. I think thatīs important, and I try to use the same approach.
    Eric

It's been said before, but it bears repeating.... Speed has nothing to do with how well you play. In addition, a lot of times it is harder to play a really slow and soulful passage than it is to play something quick. People tend to cringe if you don't nail the pitch on a bend!

Clapton is called slowhand, but there are several tunes of his which require a fair amount of quickness. His version of Hideaway is a great display of skill and emotion, and he executes it flawlessly and seemingly without effort.
    -Bizarro
    Google is your friend

I agree with everything that every one else has said, but would also like to add that you and your friend probably learn and like different kinds of music, and therefore, work on different things to get to where you and him are now
    ~UltimaRage~

Has anyone thought about what they are listening to and what they are hearing when they hear the likes of Bach or Morse's air on a six string.... I think Morse said it himself in an interview. about the ear hearing 3 levels and the hand on the guitar with only one note at a time creating that effect. This goes the same for the tapping part in Eruption by Mr Halen. What is the ear catching. Is it really one note at a time for the ear. If you can't play like this, and you want to play like this, then get the technique and practice until you can i.e. etude. If you don't want to play like this, don't.
    Mark Hitchen