Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: How can i get the "Brown Sound"??

How can i get the "Brown Sound"??

Hi,,
    i have a Yamaha Pacifica 112 and i would like to get the Van Halen sound, by changing my humbucker, although i dont have a Floyd whammy bar... Which humbucker should i buy? and what else do i have to change on my guitar, except the vibratto?
    thanks

It is likely to be more dependant on your amp.
    "Listen to the Spaces Between the sounds."
    Szulc's Site

Quote Originally Posted by szulc
    It is likely to be more dependant on your amp.

yes, and don't forget about preamp, guitar processor's, wav/etc pedals.....

http://guitars.ru/music/gitarist/vanhalen_eddie.gif - that's what i'm talking about.
    Last edited by osiris; 05-21-2004 at 02:25 PM.

I used a Seymour Duncan Custom pickup to move my sound in that direction. Seems to work well, but EQ and amp settings definitely are part of it. You will have to use your ear at some point, since twisting knobs is part of the solution......

No catch phrase. Guitarperson88's Avatar
    Eddie is one of my favorite guitar players. He used a modded Marshall plexi back in that day. You cant get them modded like that anymore because the guy that did them died. But then eddie designed the 5150. So if your looking for an eddie tone, You could go out and get a marshall plexi and try and run a distortion unit through it. But marshall plexis are expensive.
    (enter catch phrase here)

I agree to the posts above. A humbucker in your guitar should help, the rest depends on the amp and FX.
    As mentioned above, Eddie used a modded Plexi with a Variac ( to lower the input voltage in order for the tubes to "work more" ), plus some tape echo and some stompboxes.
    Eric

do you think there is a plexi marshall that is 15 or 20 Watt?
    thanks

Could I suggest just a little thing? EVH never has a tone knob on his axes, and this is a way of making your tone louder (but also harsher). Trust me, I tried it, and it makes a difference (though maybe the tone would be really harsh for most people).

so isn't it the same as never lower tone's level? or you mean - to get his sound there should be NO tone knob AT ALL?

Let's explain it this way: if you have a tone knob, your pickups are losing some of their power into it, and it affects more to the treble side. So - EVH had no tone knob at all, and his tone is really powerful in the treble.

Well... maybe I'm only speaking rubbish, but I consider this a basic part of EVH tone. There are other ways of achieving this, like substituting the volume knob for a 1M one and leaving the tone knob, etc.

Treble! Treble! :-) I love EVH brown sound, too.

No catch phrase. Guitarperson88's Avatar
    Is there a way i can remove the tone knob on my guitar so i can get that treble boost? If so let me know, sounds like something i'd like to try, and yes Eddie's sound is great.
    (enter catch phrase here)

Well... just cut one of the wires that go to the tone knob and check if you like it or not. Be aware you'll lose your tone control (you can always reconnect it, of course).

Anyway, I was just pointing something essential for my ears in EVH's brown sound: it's full of harmonics! And there're a lot of ways of increasing them.

Please don't expect "magic" doing this... er... mod, ok? There are a lot of ingredients in this recipe, including EVH himself ;-)

Hey there is a man Scott Splawn out of Dallas, North Carolina that makes a modded Marshall that is a stunning recreation of the brown sound. Check out www.splawnguitars.com. The elimintion of the tone knob is a good step in the sound too. A Gibson PAF pickup in the bridge is what Eddie used and he dip it into some kind of wax (Cant think of the name right now but is reguraly used in high end pickups) to reduce microphonic feedback.

I forgot,
    a dime distortion is a cheaper altenative to the marshall or a 5150