Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: why floyd whammy bars sound like that?

why floyd whammy bars sound like that?

Hi,
    can someone explain why a floyd rose sounds weird with distorsion (just listen joe satriani, vai or van halen), where as normal tremolos dont.. when i say "weird sound", i mean that their guitars are kinda "screaming" , you know what i mean?
    thanks

Junkie for soulful guitar metalprep6969's Avatar
    They often use it with an artificial (or pinch) harmonic. The guitar squeals and when the tremolo is used, the pitch changes drastically as opposed to a normal note. Satch can make the pitch change by like 4 octaves!

\m/
    ...Like a child who's run away...

...And won't be coming back...

Laiho's heir guitarist wild_child's Avatar
    natural harmonics are great to mess with when you got a floyd too. if you dump the bar right down, you can "flick" the harmonic spot on a string and it'll sound it when it comes back up cause the string is now vibrating! check the end of cemetary gates - pantera to hear that. its a kickass way to bust up your strings twice as fast
    "Remember, it's all good, everything goes and there ain't no damned rules or boundaries. So get off! Tear it a fresh ***, tear it hard, rip gaping holes in it! Make tracks, leave marks!

"forever stronger than all" - Dimebag Darrell

Quote Originally Posted by wild_child
    check the end of cemetary gates - pantera to hear that.
    Actually Dimebag uses a whammy pedal also, because he goes too high to use the tremolo alone. I'm not sure if he uses it live though.

\m/

Quote Originally Posted by metalprep6969
    Actually Dimebag uses a whammy pedal also, because he goes too high to use the tremolo alone. I'm not sure if he uses it live though.

\m/
    yeah, he uses it on the final harmonic i believe. it's possible to reach it with just the trem though if you go for a 2.5 harmonic on the high e, that kinda sustain just wont happen though..
    "Remember, it's all good, everything goes and there ain't no damned rules or boundaries. So get off! Tear it a fresh ***, tear it hard, rip gaping holes in it! Make tracks, leave marks!

Yeah it gets all buzzy when you get that high, and with my guitar, the string normally bumps up against the pickup by the time it gets to that point.

\m/

Dime owns.
    Sakkaku
    -Gitarrenmeister-

Quote Originally Posted by metalprep6969
    Yeah it gets all buzzy when you get that high, and with my guitar, the string normally bumps up against the pickup by the time it gets to that point.

\m/
    i have that problem too, i wanted to get maximum signal from the bridge pickup so it is literally about 1mm away from the high e.. i think maybe a little too close, they are emgs after all.. past a certain point on raising the wang bar,the string frets the pickup and thats the end of that note
    i think i may invest in a whammy pedal...
    Last edited by wild_child; 05-23-2004 at 01:11 AM.

I have the Whammy II. Never played the first one, but from what I hear, the original is better than the one I have.

But I like the insane notes I hit with it Especially when you rip out a pinch harmonic and throw some hardcore vibrato in there.
    Sakkaku
    -Gitarrenmeister-

Quote Originally Posted by wild_child
    i have that problem too, i wanted to get maximum signal from the bridge pickup so it is literally about 1mm away from the high e.. i think maybe a little too close, they are emgs after all.. past a certain point on raising the wang bar,the string frets the pickup and thats the end of that note
    i think i may invest in a whammy pedal...
    The good thing about EMGs is that they don't magnetize your strings (though that's what I originally thought since they are so high output). I have my bridge EMGs really close as well, though I keep the neck ones lower, both for picking ease and a smoother output.

\m/

Posting Rights Suspended
    metalprep, are you the gy thatowns the Hammett signture?

No catch phrase. Guitarperson88's Avatar
    Dude Wild child, get a whammy pedal, it rules, one of the best effects i have.
    (enter catch phrase here)

Quote Originally Posted by LuisSavesTheDay
    metalprep, are you the gy thatowns the Hammett signture?
    That's me. Whatcha wanna know about it?

\m/

I'm not too fond of Whammy pedals. They're fun, don't get me wrong. I could never really see myself incorporate them into everyday kinda play. Dimebag really likes to use his though.
    v2sw3CUhw6ln3pr6OFck3ma9u6Lw3Xm6l6Ui2Ne5t5TSFDAb8T DOen7g6RZATHCMHPa21s6MSr53Dp3hackerkey