Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Touch Tapping problem

Hybrid View

Touch Tapping problem

Whenever I tap with both hands (ala Stanley Jordan etal), my treble notes are too soft compared to my bass notes. Ive tried lowering my strings, but that just ended up chocking my higher frets (I can't give up my high note wails ) whenever I do bends, so now I'm at a loss about what to do

Should I tap my treble notes harder? Should I get my frets worked on? Should I get larger gauges for my treble strings? (It seems that tapping larger strings is easier)

Well I guess you do have to think about dynamics and giving the higher notes more strength when tapping, and yes a bigger gauge makes tapping easier. So why not try both?

all the best,

Heavier strings and applying more dynamics to the higher strings might help, as Koala said.
    Also, adjusting your pickups a bit closer to the treble strings might be a good idea. However... you mentioned Stanley Jordan. It will be tough to get the results he gets, cuz his guitars are adjusted in a way that makes tapping easier, but makes it almost impossible to play normal ( extra low-string action ). So you will have to find a compromise, I guess
    Eric

i have the reverse problem, My bass notes are more promonant than my treble, lol.

Yeah, I had the same problem as well. My bass notes would over-power by treble. What I did though is messed with the EQ and tone a little. I also got some new strings. I got some heavier string for my high E, B, G, and D and kept the thickness of my lower strings B, E, and A. Another thing that I heard helps is if you buy another guitar get one with a flatter fretboard.
    v2sw3CUhw6ln3pr6OFck3ma9u6Lw3Xm6l6Ui2Ne5t5TSFDAb8T DOen7g6RZATHCMHPa21s6MSr53Dp3hackerkey