Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Cleaning the guitar

Cleaning the guitar

I want to know how best to clean up my guitar. Most specifically, the fretboard. I've read (I think) that getting moisture into the fretboard is bad because the wood will expand.

So what can I/should I use to clean the fretboard? How often? Should I take all strings off to do it, or is it bad to have no tension on the neck?

Also, is there anything I can use to rub the metallic parts with to clean them up? The bridge gets a gradual buildup on it from muting.

Eric V & Thorsten Wannabe
    Hey PotShot

I just cleaned up my LesPaul today as a matter of fact and am playing right now...well...u know...its resting on my knee...

I recommend Lem-oil. It can be used all over the guitar, including pickups, fretboard, strings. Just spray a a little into a cloth and wipe it fret by fret. You can also clean the fret bars with this. Some people choose to dry it afterwards with a dry clothe straight away, however, i leave it on for about 5 minutes on the neck. Not that its damp or anything, its just looks glossy and wet.

Lem-oil leaves the guitar sounding fresh, and a little slippery, which for me, allows me to play a little faster. It also leaves a nice fragrance!
    After silence....that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music...

I use #0000 steel wool, and lightly rub it across the grain of the fretboard to clean it. (take the strings off first, of course). I lay a towel over the pickups so they don't attract any small particles from the steel wool. The 0000 grade is the finest, so it won't dig into the wood or anything. Then I spray it with furniture polish, like pledge, and buff it out with a soft cloth. It's a little slippery for a bit afterwards, but that goes away quickly.

I use Pledge on the whole guitar. Actually, I got some generic brand of polish that buffs out much easier. Powerhourse furniture polish. With Pledge, you really have to buff it for a while to get that stuff off.

Im with Kirk, the best way to clean fingerboards (especially rosewood) is to use lemon oil. From what ive read it cleans out all the grime plus it treats the wood. I wouldnt be too sure about using it on the pickups and such, but give it a shot!

Thanks for the info. I will dig up some lemon oil. Is it bad to remove all strings at once from the guitar to make for easy cleaning? I've read some people say that it's bad for the necks. This is an electric, btw.

Also, a bit more info about the guitar - it has a painted body and a pickguard. I'm not sure if there are any bad effects on paint jobs from polishes and/or oils? I would have thought just a cloth would be used to clean the body.

PotShot

Don't take off all the strings at once, otherwise the neck will bend. You have to keep tension on the neck. I simply do it by removing one at a time, however, I suppose you could remove 3 at a time and it will be alright. Not that if you remove all the strings your neck will bend straight away, although if it is kept like this for a period of time it will do u guitar no good. So i wouldn't remove all the strings, just 1, or 3 at a time, clean it, re-string it, then take of the other strings.

You can use Lem-oil on the entire surface of the guitar.
    You can just use a plain clothe, however i use an old t-shirt i don't wear anymore and spray a bit of lemoil on it. Takes of fingerprints, dust, grime and all that other stuff. Works great. Leaves the guitar polished.
    I'm telling you, get Lem-oil! It's under $10 too! and I've had it since I started playing 3 years ago, and its still half full! and i clean 3 guitars every fortnight!
    After silence....that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music...

'm starting to sound like a spokesperson for this product!
    Buy lem-oil.....NOW!!!

-boxฮดุฐฒฤฮถดฤณฮดุฐฒ
    Remember not to use lemon oil on maple fingerboard.

so what do you use to clean a maple neck incidentally??

Junkie for soulful guitar metalprep6969's Avatar
    I've heard not to use lemon oil too often because it can overdry the wood of your fretboard. I try to use it only about once every two months or so. I think the best way to clean your guitar is with a chamois (shammy) like you use on cars. I bought mine from Carvin.com...2 bucks or something, and it's great. I use that for general daily wiping and I don't have to clean my guitar with polish to often because of it.

\m/
    ...Like a child who's run away...

...And won't be coming back...

-boxฮดุฐฒฤฮถดฤณฮดุฐฒ
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny
    so what do you use to clean a maple neck incidentally??
    Arghh pirate, use your bare teeth!!
    "You don't fill somebody's shoes, you come with your own shoes and kick the door down!!!" - Zakk Wylde