Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Show me a chord...

Hybrid View

Show me a chord...

Hi guys,

I just had a nice idea for this forum, and I hope many of you will participate. Here is how it goes...
    While at the GIT I heard about a fun little game there. I think either Steve Vai or Paul Gilbert came up with that one.
    It was called something like "Show me a chord I havenīt seen yet, and I show you one you didnīt know yet" ( or something like that )
    The plan was to show each other chords beyond mere triads, trying to show the other person a chord that that person hadnīt seen yet. That can include just weird chords you come up with by randomly putting your fingers somewhere ( which actually may result into an idea for a cool lick or song ), or "sophisticated" chords that you construct based on music theory.
    So how about that, letīs try to collect a few chords that one doesnīt hear every day.
    I am gonna start this. Since Iīm more of a rock player, I often resort to triads and basic chords in my compositions, but one chord I like a lot is the minor11-chord.
    I even wrote a song based on that chord, cause it sounds so cool. Here it goes, an Em11 chord:

Click HERE to hear a MIDI-file of the TAB above

I think it sounds cool. Joe Satriani uses that chord a lot, too, i.e. in "The Power Cosmic" or in the intro of "Rubina" on the "Live In San Francisco"-album

So, now itīs your turn: show us some cool, unusual chords you like to use...

Warm regards
    Eric

NP: still Planet X- Universe ( Guitars: Tony MacAlpine )

Nice one Eric,

I once came across these two chords for Amaj7(9) and Am7(9) in a ballad (yeah, one of these where you just hope that the singer finally stops jodeling). They are open string chords and sound great arpeggiated with a bit of chorus.

Amaj7(9)

Am7(9)

Here's a Midi file of the Tabs.

NP: Eric Vandenberg Band - Canyon of Spirits

Guni

Originally posted by Guni
    Nice one Eric,
    I once came across these two chords for Amaj7(9) and Am7(9) in a ballad (yeah, one of these where you just hope that the singer finally stops jodeling). They are open string chords and sound great arpeggiated with a bit of chorus.
    Hey Guni, those indeed sound very good, I do love the sound of chords with open strings too...

NP: Eric Vandenberg Band - Canyon of Spirits
    Cool
    I hope you like the song. Weird, cuz it fits that youīre listening to it while weīre talking about chords here, because that song actually does have a few really nice open chords... they are based on basic Amaj ( or rather a majadd9 ) and Bmajor chords and look like this:

Hereīs a MIDI of that TAB

For everyone whoīs interested, the song can be heard here:
    Canyon Of Spirits by the Eric Vandenberg Band

...mmmmhh... maybe I should put up a TAB of the full song one day, just in case anyone is interested...

BTW, Guni: just in case youīre wondering what Iīm doing on my birthday, I was up almost all night last night, working on the lead guitar for a new song which will be recorded soon... itīs a ballad and I will put an MP3 of the preproduction-version up as soon as it is done... so much about "relaxing on my birthday"
    Warm regards
    Eric

"Coming back to life..."

I just felt like resurrecting those two vintage threads I created back when the forum had just been opened.
    I guess there werenīt enough people to keep this thread alive for too long... so I am eager to see what happens now that it has been resurrected... so... show me a chord

Eric

PS: Sorry about the non-functional links in the posts above. The Canyon-MP3 currently isnīt available...

Laiho's heir guitarist wild_child's Avatar
    here's two chords i came across a while back, i like them because theyre a bit awkward to play, and the Ebmaj7 looks kinda cool too because it uses all 4 fingers across 4 frets. no notes are open so theyre both moveable as well.

i first came across them when i learned 'design for life' by the manics, they are played arpeggiated in that song, its also in drop-d tuning so theres also some strange chord shapes for pretty conventional chords. i once met the guitarist from the manics in a music shop too, hes a nice guy.
    anyway, enough rambling and get to the chords:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Remember, it's all good, everything goes and there ain't no damned rules or boundaries. So get off! Tear it a fresh ***, tear it hard, rip gaping holes in it! Make tracks, leave marks!

"forever stronger than all" - Dimebag Darrell

ok heres a chord for you guys....

I forget the name of this chord, but its the very first chord in "Always with Me, Always with You"

Its arpeggiated, and sounds great with a little palm muting.

7th fret low E string(played with the thumb)
    9th fret D string
    8th fret G string
    5th fret E string

Its like Eadd9 or something

Woops, theres no third, maybe not.

or alternatively

x
    x

Yea, I've always loved that opening chord to Always With Me. I remember first learning that song about 10 years ago and having to practice the stretch on that chord. That was a pain. I've always played it without my thumb, though, so that was by far the most intense fingerwork I had seen on a chord up to that point.

I use my middle finger to fret that B on the six string instead of my thumb. Looking back on the days I spent practicing that chord I feel pretty damn good that I stuck it out because now it's second nature,(not that I have ever used that chord for anything but that song).

Now that I look at Fallenangels' alternate fingering for that chord and seeing how easy that version is I'm kicking myself for not thinking about using it.

Anyway, one great chord that comes to mind is the final chord to Pink Floyd's Is there anybody out there. I don't think I've ever seen it used anywhere else.

x
    Last edited by primal65; 02-23-2004 at 03:35 PM.

This is the opening chord to the song breezin my teacher said it was an old jazz tune.....we do these old jazz tunes for me to slol over and this is the one we just started on so enough rambleing here is the chord.....

later

Ryan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Originally posted by primal65

Now that I look at Fallenangels' alternate fingering for that chord and seeing how easy that version is I'm kicking myself for not thinking about using it.

ye its easier...but I still play it the hard way, primarily because it sounds different. Its better for picking but when ur muting it with loads of distortion the other variation with the open string is easier to use.

Heres a cool chord I came up with yesterday while trying to come up with a cool chord progression in A.

(High E to Low E)

X

Its a bit of a stretch but I love the sound when arpeggiated.

Here's another one I like:

X

Those 2 chords are ones I used in my chord progression, because they both sound a little different, nothing groundbreaking, but at least it gets me away from the boring A major barre chord.

And heres how I like to play Amaj7(maj7 is one of my favorite chords of all time)

The A in the bass gives it more "power", especially good for ending a progression IMO.

x
    x

....I think I got that right.,? Should be a G Maj.7, 1st inversion (3rd in the bass). I love the way this sounds!
    Now, make it a Maj.6.......is that the relative minor 7th,2nd inversion ?

e --0--------0------0------0
    B --0--------0------0------0
    G --1--------2------4------6
    D --4--------2------4------6
    A --2--------X------X------X
    E --0--------2------4------5
    Guitars Only blog http://u.bb/116565/guitarsonly