Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Acoustic Songs for Oldies?

Acoustic Songs for Oldies?

Hey- well on my road to becoming more versatile and getting gigs, i decided i need to learn some acoustic songs. Anyway, my grampa is president of this one old age home, and im sure i could get a "gig" there, and if they like me return. My only problem is finding some well recognized songs, or songs "older" people will like. So Far, ive got reccomendations of these: (P.S, I might sing for some songs or if its a girl singing, my sister may be able)

Bob Dylan- Hurricane
    Eric Clapton- Tears in Heaven, Change the World
    Don Mclean - American Pie
    Beatles- Blackbird
    Kansas- Dust in the wind
    Led Zeppelin- Stairway to Heaven (Dont know about this one)

Got any reccomendations/comments?

Edit: Forgot a song!

Hey,
    Don't know if this helps or not, but when I was in university I did a show that was all Irish music from around or before the 30s (I think) I had never heard of most of the songs but my grandparents or anyone around their age who came to the show knew and loved them all! It was traditional irish stuff, some of it was beautiful. If you think any songs like this might help I could dig out some titles for you. They still ask me for some of them if I pull out the guitar.

Just a thought.

Well what about Hotel California.I have played it.I like the song.I played it along with bongo and keyboard.It sounds beautiful.Only acoustic is also good.

Hey, thanks for the replies. Irish music would be cool- preferably for people 60 and up. Someone suggested Greensleeeves, which i will look at. Whats an easy well known classical piece?

Quote Originally Posted by dave111
    Whats an easy well known classical piece?
    Hey there Dave. I've been trying with my limited skills to do some classical stuff. Two I've been working on which are pretty easy, are Pachebel's Canon in D, and Bach's Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring. If ya don't recognize these by the name, download the powertab, and I guarantee you'll know them. Good luck!
    Peace

We play nursing and retirement homes all the time...

...they like to hear songs they recognize. Understand the youngest will be in their 70's and 80's. So its songs that were popular 50 years ago.

Vocals more so than instrumentals will go over best. Something they can sing along with. You may not hear them singing but their lips will be moving.

If you play something that could be danced to I guarantee the Acvities Director will get some of them up dancing. They love to see someone dancing even if they can not.

The Activities Directors will want you to keep them entertained for 45 minutes to an hour. By the time they get them all rounded up and wheeled in if you only have a 10 minute gig, it's not worth the effort to get everyone into the activities room. You are looking at 20 to 25 songs. I could give you our list, but its country and it does not look like you play country.

Thanks Guys.

Malcom, Im gonna work on my singing, and my sister can do a pretty good job on vocals. What is your country setlist? Ill play country, i like diversifiying :P

Hey Dave,
    here's a list of all the songs I can remember. Most of them should be quite old as the show we did was set in 1936 and the directors took pains to make it authentic. They are all vocal songs, in the folk song style, lots of drinking songs, so you don't have to be a virtuoso to sing them. A couple of them have the potential to be really hauntingly beautiful, but most are just fun.
    When we did these songs I knew, like two or three of them, but our older audience knew them and were singing along. I must say, I really loved singing these songs. I believe most of them are pretty easy to play. Sorry I don't have chords for you, but if you check around on the net you shouls be able to find some more info.
    Hope this helps.

Finnegan's wake
    Carrickfergus (beautiful song)
    Whiskey in The Jar
    Whiskey You're the Devil
    Nancy Whiskey
    Tell Me Ma
    Mac Phearson's Lament
    Rocky Road to Dublin
    The Parting Glass
    Cockles and Mussels
    Wild Rover
    Danny Boy
    When Irish Eyes Are Smiling
    Go Lassie Go
    Black Velvet Band
    All For Me Grog
    Galway bay
    The Little Beggarman

Good Luck! (if there was a shamrock icon, I'd use it here..)

A good song would be Closer to Home / Captain by Grand funk Railroad ) maybe just the chords / vocals to elvis songs as well. You could do boom boom by John Lee Hooker
    Layla by Clapton or anything off that unplugged cd.
    over the hills and far away, and going to california, by zep
    Zakk wlde has some fairly simple and yet beautiful acoustic songs.

Kum By Ah (sp)

G-Em-C-D

repeat

use different strum patterns too, many 50's songs were done using this progression

Taken right from the index of our gig book.

Act Naturally
    All My Exxes
    Amarillo by morning
    Apartment number nine
    Back home again
    Back in the saddle again
    Bandy the rodeo clown
    Blue side of lonesome
    Could I have this dance
    Cowboy Logic
    Cowboy Pride
    Cowboy sweetheart
    Crazy
    Crying time
    Deep in the heart of Texas
    Diggin up bones
    Don't come crying to me
    Elvira
    Except for Mondays
    Faded Love
    Fifteen years ago
    Four walls
    God must be a cowboy
    Good hearted woman
    Hank Williams medley
    He things I still care

etc, etc,

This site will have fake chord on a lot of country http://www.roughstock.com/cowpie/songs/