Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: licks, sweeps and tapping

Yeah, I actually have the aforementioned 'monster hands' - but I still need to practice and stretch to get the reach I want. I actually do more stretch & stamina practice away from the guitar - I basically stick the wide part of my arm between two given fingers, and flex the fingers twice a second for about two minutes, and when that's done I move my hand to a slightly wider part of my arm, until they're either stretched well or I run out of arm, in which case I use my thigh (or my chemistry book, they both work). It's important to keep flexing the fingers at a steady pace so they don't get lazy, otherwise nothing will happen. These do actually work, by the way - at least for me they do - and in addition to what Bizarro said, you'll have it down in no time. Just don't hurt yourself.

Rock On,
    The Jeffinator

I have been told i have small hands and I'm able to pull off the 10-2-7 stretch with a medium amount of ease. The tapping for me isn't hard nor is the lagato and AP parts. i can get them down in afew ours all together. My major technique downfall is I'm not that good at sweep picking. I can sweep but I'm not very good at it. I can do 6-string sweeps but they are slow. Around 16th notes at about 120 bpm. I use to practice it alot but over the past couple of years i haven't tried it at all and the skill basically went flat. I'm reworking on it. Re-learning Eugene's trick bag and Jason Beckers version os the 5th capprice, that way I'm not letting my other techniques go to waste while I'm building my sweeping. In about a month or so...as soon as I can save up some money...I'm gonna go record a demo of some songs thats I've been writing. For the most part its gonna be metal and hard rock but I plan on trying to play some blues and possibly a little jazz to spicen things up a little.
    v2sw3CUhw6ln3pr6OFck3ma9u6Lw3Xm6l6Ui2Ne5t5TSFDAb8T DOen7g6RZATHCMHPa21s6MSr53Dp3hackerkey