Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Tapping and Action

Tapping and Action

Hey,

I was wondering if I could seek guidance within this forum for a little information on the benefits of adjusting the action on my guitar. I'm not too satisfied with the level of sound I can get out from tapping my guitar, and I figured perhaps it's because the action is really low. I have an adjustable Schallerbridge, so I figured if it could help, I might as well raise it a bit. Does anyone think this would help?

Thanks.

No catch phrase. Guitarperson88's Avatar
    Well lower action is supposed to help the tapping more. I suggest you warm up your tapping finger for a little each time you practice, say, 5, 10 minutes just tryin things. Then try learning some licks and incorporating more of it into your playing. that should help
    (enter catch phrase here)

Thanks man. My legato techniques aren't quite that refined yet. I'm trying to learn Joe Satriani's Midnight, and while I have no trouble with the speed, my problem is that I'm not getting enough volume out of it (I can't stand high gain with my SP-90s, too noisy with all the interference around, gonna replace bridge pickup with humbucker). Thanks again.

Do you have callouses on your tapping fingertips yet? When those form you'll be able to articulate the notes cleaner and much louder. That little bit of hard skin makes a huge difference in volume.
    -Bizarro
    Google is your friend

Bizarro,
    No I haven't developped callouses (atleast hard ones, my fingers are still soft). I dunno why, I play atleast an hour every day. Maybe I'm not pressing hard enough, I have no clue. Then again my old Washburn acoustic had heavy strings and I had to play that guitar hard, but I never developped callouses. I guess I'll just keep playing :P

Lowering the action will definitely help on the tapping end. You may also want to make sure your playing through your neck pick-up. Tapping on the bridge is okay but it can get drowned out pretty easily. Another things is tap HARD and fast. This develops a callous on your tapping finger(s) and IMO will help you tap with more ease. Tapping and sliding with your tapping finger will also help develop a callouss easier. Now, onto the legato. For me legato was the easiest thing to pick up because it involved less pick movement and I just overall got the concept faster than I did AP. One way to improve legato is to practice symmetrical shapes on the fretboard. I attached a powertab file to show you some of the excersizes I used to do. In the Major scale and it's modes there are three basic fingering shapes that each scale/mode is constructed of. Meaning there's only 3, 3 finger patterns in any major scale and it's modes. One you get the legato of these three shapes then each scale becomes that much easier to play. I also included a nice dimishied lick that I play that involes a combination of legato and AP. It's quite fun to play.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    v2sw3CUhw6ln3pr6OFck3ma9u6Lw3Xm6l6Ui2Ne5t5TSFDAb8T DOen7g6RZATHCMHPa21s6MSr53Dp3hackerkey