Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: scale pattern confusion

scale pattern confusion

Hi,

im working through a scale pattern book: "The Ultimate Scale Nook" by Troy Stetina. Im trying to learn the multiple patterns for major and minor scales and i have come across patterns which is both minor and major. the only differnce is its either on different frets or the root note is different. how can a major scale be the same as a minor scale. its confusing me, is it something to do with in different keys the pattern is either major or minor. i apologise if this makes no sense.

thanks in advance,
    Dave

You're prolly talking about relative keys. For example, E minor is the relative minor of G major. In other words, G major scale started at the 6th degree = E (natural) minor.
    Dave, what are your thoughts on AIDS? -"You're talking about sex, right? hell, i don't need no aids!"

The above explanation pretty much sums the concept up. The Minor Scale is simply the sixth (Aeolian) mode of the major scale. For example, A Minor is the sixth mode of C major, and they have the exact same notes. You hear the difference between them when you play them starting on their respective root note, or over different chords. For example, if you were to play the C Major scale over an Am-Dm-Em chord progression, it would have a minor tonality. However, if you were to play the same exact scale over a Cmaj-Fmaj-Gmaj progression, it would have a major tonality. I hope that helps and doesn't confuse you further. In a nutshell, they're the same notes off of different root notes.
    Last edited by ZootAllures; 07-13-2004 at 03:26 PM.

I'm not sure what you really have in mind.... however, do this and I think you may answer your own question.

Print out a Major scale. Notice the columns --- take the 6th column and write it down on a piece of paper as the 1st column on that paper. Take the 7th column and let it be the 2nd column on the paper. Take the 1st column and let this be the 3rd column on the paper, take the 2nd column and let this be the 4th column --- get the idea, keep going, etc. etc.

When you get all seven columns transfered that piece of paper now has the minor scale. The minor scale is constructed from the Major scale.

Does this help?
    Last edited by Malcolm; 07-14-2004 at 03:04 PM.

i see, i believe im looking at relative keys. where the notes in g major are the same as in e minor. cheers for the help guys.