Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Two Hand Tapping

Two Hand Tapping

Ok, i'v recently been interested in two hand tapping (not to be confused with regular tapping) but im not a person to go out and buy instructional videos and i was wondering if there is a site dedicated to this technique where i can learn more about it? Anyone know of any two hand tapping tabs or sites?

Laiho's heir guitarist wild_child's Avatar
    i think i understand what you're talking about, i think it's more commonly known as "touchstyle" or simply "the touch technique"
    anyway, i Googled it and here ya go:

http://www.stanleyjordan.com/Technique/starting.html
    "Remember, it's all good, everything goes and there ain't no damned rules or boundaries. So get off! Tear it a fresh ***, tear it hard, rip gaping holes in it! Make tracks, leave marks!

"forever stronger than all" - Dimebag Darrell

Here's another link that might help you out.

http://www.cyberfret.com/techniques/...ping/index.php

touch tapping!! thats it! Thanks for the links. Anyone here actually use this technique that could give me some hints or tips?

Also (forgot to mention) iv been looking for power tabs or Guitar pro tabs and i havnt been able to find but 1 touch tapping tab. Even looking for regular i cant find much.

Every now and then I do a little touch tapping. Nothing like Stanley Jordan or Adam Fulara. One thing I have to recommend especially if your starting out on touch is to wrap a sock or something around the first few frets of your guitar in order to dampen your strings. Unless by chance you have some string dampeners then by all means use them instead. I also recommend practicing the chromatics scale using touch tapping. It helps build timing, coordination, and strength on your right hand.
    v2sw3CUhw6ln3pr6OFck3ma9u6Lw3Xm6l6Ui2Ne5t5TSFDAb8T DOen7g6RZATHCMHPa21s6MSr53Dp3hackerkey

lol yeah, i got a sock tied to the end of my guitar. Just trying to get over the arkward feel of my right hand tapping. Iv done tapping like in "midnight" by satch or "eruption" but van halen but "Touch of Blues" by stanley jordan is gonna be a harder task that i thought. For some reason (ill retune my guitar in the morning, couldnt do much tonite cause parents asleep) but when ill tap 2 notes at the same time but 1 string apart it sounds bad. Hoping after i retune my guitar and adjust some things it will sound better.

-------
    --4----
    -------
    --2----
    -------

also just realized my strings were like 1 1/2 or almost 2 (real quarters thickness) away from the fretboard and i read somthing recently than when doing tapping it should be less than a penny width away or close enough without pickups buzzing... Maby now i got it lower my playing will be much easier. My middle finger (usually tap with my index) is killing me and hurt bad enough i just covered the tip of my middle finger with super glue and after it dried, went back to tapping, lol..Ghetto but it works ...
    Last edited by GtrvVampyre; 07-10-2004 at 07:30 AM.

I may be wrong but this link was posted up of Justin King playing a tune- Is this two handed tapping? Which he uses through the song, he also uses many percussive techinques.

CHECK OUT THIS LINK, if u havent already!

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/vide...bJZYIhMHGZRyo=

Peace Out
    Don't Stop Rockin'!

I don't get it, if two handed tapping isn't like regular tapping, why are people posting links to tapping articles?

I'm a little confused when you say two handed tapping isn't regular tapping GtrvVampyre. Tapping and two handed tapping is the same thing, just two different names for the same technique..

this is how i understand it. Tapping is like Van Halen stuff, you know, eruption, ect. The two hand tapping im talking about is also called, Touch tapping or touch style, theres many names for it. Think of it as playing a full bass part with one hand, while your second hand taps the guitar parts and your left hand will tap a whole chord while your right hand might be off doing its own little solo. To do all this you have to wrap a cloth around the end of the neck to dampen the strings so when your playing osmthing fast and let off to goto a new chord or progression it wont pull of and make a sound. Look up Adam Fulara, he has some videos of himself using two handed tapping, or touch tapping. I cant find much on it as far as tabs or sheet music goes (you can pretty much convert piano music, the lower keys you play with your left hand on the guitar and higher keys you use your right on the top strings) but im kinda impatient to convert whole sheet music x.x....

But your right lightning, they both are pretty much the same tech. because they both are tapping its just what i'v heard it called. When i hear tapping i think eruption or somthing fairly simple like that. When i hear two hand tapping i imagine bach piano music on guitar with full keys being played. One MAIN difference is usually two hand tapping or touch tapping is played on a 2 necked guitar. I dont have the money for that though so there are some one neck guitar tabs for touch tapping but Adam Fulara has videos of him touch tapping on double necked and single necked guitars. The videos he has posted doesnt wanna work rite but if you open it with Windows Media Player and it asks if you wanna try playing it anyway (even though its not a valid extention) just click yes and it should work. (did for me). You may have to download a VID thing but it tells you how on his site.

His site is http://adam.fulara.com/ just look under Adam Fulara and then videos. Some of his Bach stuff is VERY impressive and its insane how he has both hand so coordinated. Im having troubles with Stanley Jordans "Touch of Blues". (sorry for all the typos, lol)
    Last edited by GtrvVampyre; 07-11-2004 at 06:01 PM.

f

BTW DOTlover : Thats is an awesome clip, is that Justin King playing? I would be really interested in learning some of that stuff if there are any tabs. Thanks for the link!

I found the tab for it and its the next thing im gonna learn ^.^. Although those rthyms are gonna be hard without looking at a guitar pro tab or power tab..... x.x
    Last edited by GtrvVampyre; 07-11-2004 at 03:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked_Dreams
    I don't get it, if two handed tapping isn't like regular tapping, why are people posting links to tapping articles?
    most people put normal tapping links but Wild_Child posted a touch tapping link. (thanks again) I guess i need to call it touch tapping from now on so it wont get confused x.x.

Laiho's heir guitarist wild_child's Avatar
    I cant find much on it as far as tabs or sheet music goes (you can pretty much convert piano music, the lower keys you play with your left hand on the guitar and higher keys you use your right on the top strings) but im kinda impatient to convert whole sheet music x.x....
    just thought i'd mention; if you have any particular piano pieces that you want to learn to touch tap on guitar but don't have time to transcribe the whole thing, find them in midi, then use the "import midi" function on power tab and it will tab the whole thing out for you! pretty neat
    "Remember, it's all good, everything goes and there ain't no damned rules or boundaries. So get off! Tear it a fresh ***, tear it hard, rip gaping holes in it! Make tracks, leave marks!

"forever stronger than all" - Dimebag Darrell

OH YEAH! I forgot about the midi import on power tab. Ill have to give that a try, Thanks for the reminder ^.^.