Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Warm up ideas

Warm up ideas

Hi again,

in relation to the "Show me a chord"-thread I started at the "Play" forum, there is something else I felt like putting here:

Letīs talk warmups ! I got feedback regarding my recent articles for iBreathe, and some people asked about more examples for warmups.
    So, right here I would like to give away one of my favorite warmups and I would like to suggest posting your favorite warmups here... tell us which warmups you use, show us the ones that have proven helpful to you...

OK, the one that I like to use a lot is a warmup based on add9-chords. It is actually the intro riff of "Atlanta Dawn", a song by the Eric Vandenberg Band.
    As I mentioned in my articles, it is not a good idea to warm up by playing difficult licks at high speed... after all, a runner doesnt warm up by running a mile at high-speed, he starts with some easy warm up exercises.
    So, the lick I am gonna show you today might not be extremely fast or difficult, but it warms up your left hand due to the involved stretches and also forces you to concentrate on accuracy and synchronisation of your hands ( alternate picking throughout ! )
    Here is the TAB:

Keep repeating it a few times.
    If you feel like it, transpose it and play it in the lower areas of the neck, where the stretches are even wider...
    Here is a MIDI of the lick. To hear the riff being used in context, check out the MP3 of "Atlanta Dawn" by the Eric Vandenberg Band... you can find it at our website
    Ok, hope you like this one. And I would like to see more warmups by you guys, so go ahead and post your favorites...
    Warm regards
    Eric

Hi Eric.

Could ya pls check your link to the midi file - ta

Guni

Hi Guni

I did... had a typo in the URL... thanks for the hint... itīs fixed now
    Warm regards
    Eric

Hey Eric,

I really like that little 'Atlanta Dawn' Lick - sounds nice.

As for warming up personally I always try to 'get something out' of the warm-up phase - be it through sightreading a few pages or improvising over some chord changes by focussing on an improvisational technique, eg chord tones, etc ....

One reason for this is that I do not have as much time anymore to practice as say 5 years ago.

And the second reason is that personally I do think such a 'productive' warm-up also warms up your brain and gets you in the mood for playing, practicing, writing .......

Again, a personal view but maybe it might be useful to some of you guys.

Guni

I sleep with my guitar TaikaJim's Avatar
    Yea very nice lick. I actually use it in my warmup routine now... well i change it little bit everytime but the idea is the same.
    Thx eric.
    "Im just gonna see what this guitar playing thing gets me. If i get Arthritis and a horrible tinnitus.... thats fine by me." -me

Thanks for the feedback, Jim. Glad you like it... if you do have any interesting or helpful warmup-exercise to share, feel free to do so here at the forum...
    Warm regards
    Eric

Resurrected thread No.2

Another thread Iīd like to resurrect. Letīs see what happens to it.
    Eric

I keep my warmups very simple and basic. First I usually just flex my right hand (I'm left handed so thats my fretting hand) just gently bend the fingers back and forth and I also have gotten into the habit of physically stretching my fingers apart. (My fingers don't like to seperate very far so I just started doing it and now I cant stop doing it even when I'm not playing )Then when the blood is all good and flowing I just acclimate myself with the fretboard again by playing the 3NPS scales and pentatonic scales. Hmmm thats usually about it I know its nothing groundbreaking but to me warmups are not supposed to be anything complex. Its just a warmup to get the blood flowing

If you want to include practice routines, then I usually do one or some of the following.
    1. Practice a piece of music, like an etude or something. Currently I'm playing the first excerpt of Paganini's 16th caprice.
    2. Jam along with the radio, just because its fun
    3. Take a certain technique i.e. sweep picking, tapping or whatever and try to write licks/etudes utilizing said technique
    4. Songwriting, which is just coming up with some heavy riffs or cool chord progressions that I might want to record and jam over

I'm no longer a believer in practising exercises especially ones that aren't really 'practical' If I'm practising its got to be "musical"

Lightbulb warm up

hey man, here's a lick i always use in my warm up and work out sessions.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    man, there's some guy who can play eruption on the violin and i can't even do it on the guitar

vai

hey, how are u guys i found some exrercises from steve vais 10 hour workout they are great warm ups, enjoy 'em
    Attached Files Attached Files
    man, there's some guy who can play eruption on the violin and i can't even do it on the guitar