Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

View Poll Results: How do you like this piece ?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very Good

0 0%
  • Good

0 0%
  • donīt know

2 66.67%
  • bad

0 0%
  • very bad

1 33.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sounds like sh** ... or not you decide !

Question Sounds like sh** ... or not you decide !

Hi
    everyone

I īve found some interessting guitar piece ,
    and I want to start a poll here ,
    The piece you will listen to is written by Fransesco Farreri
    , he is very talented mechanical-technical wise , but musically there is a big black hole ( my opinion ).

best to you all
    bye
    Paul
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by 3fingerjoe; 11-04-2002 at 02:35 PM.

Hi

Well, whoeverīs playing it... itīs a nice display of chops, btu I donīt here much of a melody or anything. See, I wouldnīt call it sh** itīs just not really down my alley.
    I wouldnīt call it tasteless or anything neither, cuz I think music has many different facets of expressing yourself, and speed sure is one of them.
    If you take i.e. one of the demos on my site, "Pay By The Note". Thereīs no "theme" in there or anything. Itīs a jam. Some blazing licks. But it was fun to record that, and judging by the Emails I am getting, there are quite a few people who like stuff like that.
    Itīs definitely a matter of taste.

As I said, some blazing chops in that tune, but I donīt hear a real melody or theme, and therefore I kinda get bored. My attention drifts away.
    I used to play stuff like that and workshops etc, sheer displays of technical stuff, licks and stuff. But itīs not anything I can listen to when I relax.
    So I would simply say:
    "Not for me"

Eric

Afro-Cuban Grunge-Pop Bongo Boy's Avatar
    It's very difficult to know what you're really asking. I don't consider myself a musician--but "do you LIKE it?" and "do you think it's good?" are to me, very different questions. It's hard for me to know which question your poll is asking (if either).

Here's an example. I just love the Ramones--most all of it. I grew up with the MC5 (the ONLY vinyl I ever wore out) and the Stooges. Now, some of this stuff is total crap (Stooges), some of it is just incredibly basic (Ramones), and some of it is very basic but very fast (MC5). This stuff is all 8 or above (on my scale of 10) in terms of how much I enjoy it--but is it good?

I THINK that question is sort of like asking "Does it demonstrate skilled musicianship--musical craftsmanship?" In the case of the clip you posted--I don't know, I'm not experienced enough and I haven't a clue as to what the guy might be doing with that guitar.

But also understand, I think I could easily go another 10 years without ever hearing a guitar solo and I'd be just fine. I mostly endure them the best I can

Having said all that (and who gives a hoot?), I DON"T think it makes sense (on this forum, at least) to rate on a scale of good-to-bad. Like-to-dislike is okay, or even a measurement of agreement with certain statements (a Likert scale survey of strongly agree to strongly disagree). For example:

"I feel this performer is a skilled guitarist" or
    "I feel this performance demonstrates musical creativity".

These are opinion or attitude measurements that would keep us closer to discussing WHAT constitutes skill and creativity, rather than subjecting an artist to a good or bad debate. Do you see the subtle difference as important? To say it another way:

It's okay for any of us (no matter how ill-qualified to do so) to say "I think he probably has mastered such-and-such techniques but has very little experience with such-and-such"--and THAT would be a useful dialog and learning experience for all of us to argue those kinds of points. But to say it's 'bad' won't be too helpful.

So, I posted by first attempt at playing a guitar melody, and because everyone here KNOWs I'm a beginner, everyone was very polite, supportive and encouraging, etc. Suppose I'd somehow landed a deal for my 'single' and sold 500,000 copies and was getting Top 40 airtime for this same work? Wouldn't it be cool if I got the SAME polite support and encouragement? Would I need or want that support any less, just because 500,000 people were dumb enough to buy my single?

Heh...I'm tryin' to make a point here, k?
    Last edited by Bongo Boy; 11-07-2002 at 05:02 AM.
    Pulsing the System with Confirmed Nonsense.

Hi Bongo Boy

I just posted this track because , I donīt like this track at all , and
    I think it is crap. Sorry for my words .
    It is not so difficult as you describe,
    Don be too polite, itīs just a simple poll , Youīre right , i used wrong categories with good to bad , but I hoped you know what i ment.
    There is so much music on the net , and most of it is crap,

I found Francesco on the web at www.chopsfromhell.com
    Itīs really a nice site , but I canīt recommended it for schoolarship. Many of the players there have Instructional videos for sale. so Fransesco too , He even do clinics . And he seems really successful (thats very good)
    there are some quotes of well-known guitarists :

"...just wanted to let you know that your playing sounds Great!...
    ...stay in touch and keep up the great work"
    Greg Howe April 05, 2001

"Cool tab Wow!!! Very nice job...and thanx a million for being a cool fan too. I'm sure you must be a superb player. Maybe we'll hook up one day. Take care."
    Greg Howe June 20, 2000

"…Hey bro I thought the music was very cool! I enjoyed the keyboards lines very much and of course the guitar is ****in smokin! Nice job, anyone can shred with practice but to compose something from nothing is unexplainably so awesome!…"
    George Bellas April 08, 2000

this is the reason for my Poll here , the Pros (I think they are Shrapnel Records Artist) are saying that his music is so fantastic,
    And this is the thing I donīt understand , because I hear only a bunch of notes , in my ears its sounds sloppy like hell , and this is
    hardly what I music call .
    Maybe My ears are wrong.

"...just wanted to let you know that your playing sounds Great!...
    ...stay in touch and keep up the great work"
    Greg Howe April 05, 2001

He said playing, not songs. I think he plays great too, I just donīt hear much of a melody.

"Cool tab Wow!!! Very nice job...and thanx a million for being a cool fan too. I'm sure you must be a superb player. Maybe we'll hook up one day. Take care."

He hadnīt heard the guy until then either. He was commenting on a TAB by the guy, obviously. So this doesnīt say much.
    Anyway, I am being careful here, I havent heard anything by Francesco but the tune above. I posted my opinion, and its based on that tune.
    He might have some songs that Iīd enjoy a lot. Also, a lot of people might think the same about my music. So Iīm gonna stop right here.

I wonder how he got in touch with Greg. That ainīt easy.
    Eric

The funny thing about him is he can actually shred like hell ,
    but I cannot bend, he has no vibrato , and he uses always same shapes of arpeggios and fast runs , and I guess you can mess him up with an easy Metallica riff.
    The most people think (me too at the beginning)
    somebody who shreds in lightspeeds , must be able to play basic techniques and basic music theory.
    But often beginners and intermediates donīt make step by step they are overjumping essential steps (me included)
    Example : Somebody could do a really great tapping solo ,
    but doesnīt know the pentatonic shapes (2 notes a string)
    or somebody who has a really undeveloped alternate picking technique but actually want to improve and develop the sweep picking technique .
    there are millions of examples.

Here is a link of Francesco playing in front of an audience
    http://www.ibanezregister.com/videos/francessco1.wmv

Paul

Originally posted by 3fingerjoe
    I just posted this track because, I donīt like this track at all, and I think it is crap. Sorry for my words. Maybe My ears are wrong.
    No need to apologize, but thanks. And actually, I should apologize for MY words...too damn many of them!! Here's what I'm trying to say, but more briefly:

If we can find words to express why we feel an artists work isn't so good, (e.g., "I don't hear a melody. It doesn't keep my attention.") it's very helpful to both the artist and those who hope to be. When I posted earlier, I guess I had some Big Point to make--not really.

As for all the garbage on the 'net, yeah, I'd have to agree with that. BUT, I really love the fact that folks are free to do it and can use it as a way to get cheap exposure without having to pass thru the filter of the Recording Industry. Indie is groovy, I guess.

Cool

This is not the kind of music that I put to hear when i wake up...I agree when Mozart said once... "Melody is music, music is melody". OK?
    blah blah blah... (J.S.Bach in a Inspiration Moment)

Merc

Originally posted by mercuryseries
    I agree when Mozart said once... "Melody is music, music is melody". OK?
    Where does that leave something like, say, a 2- or 3-conga composition (for example)...would it not really be music, or would I just need to modify my definition of melody?

Originally posted by Bongo Boy
    Where does that leave something like, say, a 2- or 3-conga composition (for example)...would it not really be music, or would I just need to modify my definition of melody?

You will modify your definition if you want Iīm just giving my opinion about that Thread...But I apply this "Mozart Law" to all the instrumental guitar songs...And Iīd like to explain that heīs not a bad guitarist...He is the most technical guy that iīve seen playing...but when I hear music I like to hear : Harmony , melody , interesting rythmic lines...and Fareli didnīt do this in my opinion. It sound more like a texture than a music itself...and remember..itīs just a opinion. I believe in Mozart law
    blah blah blah... (J.S.Bach in a Inspiration Moment)

Merc

In case anyone is interested in learning more about the dude,
    you can see a video of him HERE
    Click on the little TV to see the video.

Technically, itīs quite impressive, extremely fast... technically
    Other than that, I have nothing further to add to the previous posts in this thread...
    Eric

Wow its really fast...feels like if the video's being fast foreward or something...

One thing I wanted to point out, the first thing when I saw the way he holds the pick was: Kirk Hammett.

-Beast

NP:-Shakira Unplugged

I thought of the same thing... also, he anchors his wrist, as far as I can see...

Eric

I like so much Francesco Fareri!!! Very very nice guy!
    And your technique is great and clean!!
    "Just belive in yourself"

I have great respect for Fransesco Farreri's talent.
    I've never tried to play that style myself. At times I wish I'd of taken the time to learn, but,,,,,

I'd have to relate that clip to the rest of the song.
    As it is to me it is out of context with the whole song.
    As it is to me, there is to much repetition for too long. He tends to continually repeat the same pattern over and over.

None the less, since I have heard the entire song before I'd have to say that it fits the song.

He's doing something right. He's an following that praises his playing and he's the one who's cut the disk where I haven't.

I like him, but that particular clip isn't one of his better moments. He's done much better.