Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Is doing things backwards wrong?

In Love With Fusion Priest Becker's Avatar

Is doing things backwards wrong?

I was talking the other day to a guitarist I had just met and was asking him for advice in which he wanted to hear me play to get an idea of what level I was at. I did a little random shred thing over a mode (cant remember which right at the moment) and he was impressed. But then he asked me about what chords I knew and gave me a test. I failed miserably. I knew all my scales and how to make them sound intresting when i shred over them and add somethings to change the feel of it but i can't seem to make a decent ryhtm to things because of my lack of knowlage in chords. My frst question is was it a bad thing to learn how to shred well first instead of learning chords first. I know my triads (most all of them) and i just learned my 7ths (almost all) but I dont know more beyond that ( o yeah and also dominet chords as well i have been learning). The 2nd question is what do i need to learn chord wise to help start making good rythms as to solo or shred over. I know how to apply things that is never realy too much of a problem because i have been around playing instruments sense my elementry days and have a good ear for things like that (and the little theory i know helps me apply alot as well). But what else do I need to learn to start making these rythms a little more able to shred over like a backing track. Mine right know are kinda montonous and limited to triads and power chords because, like i said, i just started learning my 7ths and domonets (wow im a bad speller lol). Any help or answer to either question would be apreciated.
    Instrumental.

My suggestion would be to start branching to learning some jazz pieces. While this isn't your type of music, it will help. Also, another idea besides memorizing chords, is memorizing chord forumlas, like i believe an 11th chord would be these notes of the scale: 1, b3 5 b7 9 11 (correct me if im wrong) With a good knowledge of notes on the guitar and of scales, this could allow you to build chords

I love jazz but dont know too many artists i just know random songs i have heard and dont know the names to. I love the joe pass video for hotlicks. Are their any songs you would suggest. Formulas i got down i know them to an extent and shapes i have been memorizing easly(in 2 days i got down all the shapes for the 7th(not including flatted and sharped) chords and domonits and just started applying them well an hour ago).
    Instrumental.

I would suggest getting The Real Book, but that is kind of expensive. Look at alot of jazz stuff by Wes Montgomery, Joe Pass, Pat Martino, George Benson, Django Reinhardt etc. Also, look into other styles. Styles like Ska and Funk have some interesting rhythms, you can find info at www.cyberfret.com on them. As well as learning open shapes, learn barre chords- you can apply them in more places! A good exercise is also to practice different inversions of shapes

I didn't realy care much for ska or punk when I studdied in them. The rythms I have in my head are very jazzy like though alot like the one exercise petrucci does in his video that he dosen'e explain and its realy just like a song more than anything. I can't remember what number it was all i can remember was thier was no talking during it at all it was just him playing realy lol. But the backing track on that is what I have been looking to make things like that. It had a real jazzy sound to it. I think it was swung but I could be wrong. If you know what I'm talking about could you give me some specifics on what to look for that sound like this. Thanks for the jazz names too.
    Instrumental.

I can list you some more jazz guys . I think you missed what i was saying- i said Funk, not punk. As well as this, I dont listen to much Ska either but its about different ideas. Ska has an interesting interest in the offbeat which can add a whole new dimension do your rhythm

Lol yeah I was into ska for a while and I use alot of skanks and stuff for some ideas but I guess what it is is my knowlage is soo limited in chords right now for the rythms and backing I need to make. That would be awsome if you could tell me some songs that sound similar to the petrucci thing (do you know which one im talking about?) And any other help uyou could provide on chords rather than 7ths triads or domonits would be nice lol but I apprecate the names already i was having a hard time finding the names to the jazz guitarist I liked so thanks.
    Instrumental.

Ill give you some names, no idea about the petrucci thing, but ill give you some chord forumlas to explore (Like which notes of the scale form the chord:

Guitarists: Wes Montgomery, John Scofield, Joe Pass, Pat Martino, Django Reinhardt, George Benson, Stanley Jordan, John Mclaughlin, Grant Green, Pat Metheny, Charlie Christian, Mike Stern (needed check this one), Joe Diorio, John Abercrombie, Jimmy Bruno. Ill leave it with that for now .

Different chords (besides the obvious ones) and their forumulas:
    Suspended: 1 4 5
    Major Flat Five: 1 3 b5
    Major add9: 1 3 5 9
    Augmented: 1 3 #5
    Major Sixth: 1 3 5 6
    Major Sixth add9: 1 3 5 6 9
    Minor Sixth: 1 b3 5 6
    Seventh Suspended: 1 4 5 b7
    Seven Sharp Five: 1 3 #5 b7
    Seven Flat Ninth: 1 3 5 b7 b9
    Seven Sharp Nith: 1 3 5 b7 #9
    Minor Seventh: 1 b3 5 b7
    Minor Seventh Flat Five: 1 b3 b5 b7
    Diminished Seventh: 1 b3 5 bb7
    Minor Major Seven: 1 b3 5 7
    Ninth: 1 3 5 b7 9
    Minor Ninth: 1 b3 5 b7 9
    Major Ninth: 1 3 5 7 9
    Eleventh: 1 3 5 b7 9 11
    Minor Eleventh: 1 b3 5 b7 9 11
    Thirteenth: 1 3 5 b7 9 13

Wow, that was a mouthful. Try making your own chord/chord forumulas up, like 1 2 4 etc. Enjoy ( I hope this is what you wanted?)