Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Left hand grip (help needed)

Left hand grip (help needed)

Hi all,

I play guitar for about 7 years already, but lately there's no improvement anymore, although I practice a lot...

There are a couple of things that I suck at, but what I recently noticed was the following:
    - I tend to really 'hold' the neck with my left hand. I sort of steer my guitar with it. If I look at great players, I notice they really just let the guitar hang on their shoulders and their fretting hand barely holds the neck (except for weird moves).

Do you guys have any advice for me? Ways of resting the fretting hand on the neck?

I also have problems with my picking hand. When I stand up, my neck points a bit to the roof (logical), but my pickgin hand hits the strings not straight to the floor, but a bit more to the right. It seems I loose the 'feeling' of where certain strings are because of this.

I really appreciate some help! Cheers!

might be that the headstock of your guitar is too heavy! therefor you are "forced" to hold up the neck while playing.
    check different guitars if its easier for you to play.
    let the guitar hang loosely on your belly. it shouldn't move by its own.
    now place the fingers on the strings and the thumb on the back without steering the guitar.
    should be that same as you were playing when sitting. the guitar should be in the same position between your hands and in front of your belly no matter if you sit or stand up. that might solve prob two as well.

My guitar is fine, I got a Yamaha RGX820Z and is a pretty o.k. guitar, so it's not that.

I feel a bit uncomfortable when my guitar is against my belly, I prefer a bit more around the waist-area though.

Hi Reinier !

What I'd recommend you to do is to practice getting used to the 'classical' position of the left hand. (Thumb at the back of the neck as opposed to hooked over the top, and fingers parallel to the fretwire, no contact of the palm of your hand and the back of the neck).
    I'm not saying you should use this position for everything you play (for bending you certainly should NOT use the classical way), but for some things (such as playing scales or things that require wide stretches) it is quite useful and getting used to this might solve the problem you described above ("holding" the neck).
    And one important thing: use as little strength in your hand as possible, keep it relaxed !!!

I hope this helps a bit.

Greetz
    Lars