Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Chops Delema

In Love With Fusion Priest Becker's Avatar

Chops Delema

Ok I know your all thinking why doesn't he just look in the articles to find something to help with this. Well let me explain. You see all the exercise I have come aross only build your chops for playing 3 notes per string then going to the next string. I have no problems with that. But lets say im going to play 2 notes per string then maybe one on the next and then 2 on the next and work my way back down for a melody or something that goes faster than usual. I was wondering if anyone had any exercises to work these chops to build them up better. I noticed timmons does alot of this and gilbert does a bit as well and my chops in this are arn't the greatest. I have no idea what to practice for exercises. I have been practicing 3 to a string and I dont need any help in that area so please do not post anything for chops of three fingers to a string anything else to help build melody chops for like 2 to s string and wierd combos with that would be much apreaciated. Thank you in advanced.
    Instrumental.

Seany
    If you already have quote, "No problem" with 3nps scales, then why not just make ur own 2nps scales up, if you hav some, "serious chops" in 3nps u should be able to work out some patterns from 2nps, just stick to alternate picking and play with a metronome i guess, using patterns u work out from scales to be 2nps. Otherwise, Zakk Wylde uses a lot of pentatonic licks which are 2nps, check out Bizzarro's article on economy picking, it shows you an alternative way to pick not using alternate piking, and he applies it to 2nps patterns. Check out No More Tears Solo, and part of the Desire solo, Zakk uses lots of 2nps. Hope That helps. Sean

Thanks it didnt take too long to get down "2nps" after i started making them with scales and what not. It was just a matter of getting used to playing them. Thanks for the advice.
    Instrumental.

Fusion is as fusion does.
    try this, 2nps-1nps-2nps-1nps-2nps here is one example that would work over Cm. now take this idea and move it down a step in the same key. the spacing will change once you start with a different note but keep the 2-1-2-1-2 and start woodshedding that.

EDIT: added file below.
    Last edited by fastfingersfunk; 07-29-2004 at 02:02 AM.

that didn't work. what program do you guys use to post TAB in here? the one where it looks like you convert the tab to gif or jpg and then insert it.

powertabs
    Instrumental.

here, i did this for you in powertab but i'm talking about the one that isn't an attachement, it's just an image file. remember, this is an example, you can twist it many ways. like 3-2-3-1-2 etc.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks man i apreciate it (damned my horrible spelling)
    Instrumental.

Szulc wrote an article on this, http://www.ibreathemusic.com/article/84

We also had a great thread about it:
    http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/...p?threadid=414

I added an exercise in that thread which should help immensely. Scroll down until you see my post with "picking_exercise.ptb" attached.

James (szulc) and I generally take a mathematical approach to developing ways to advance technique, as opposed to a collection of licks.
    -Bizarro
    Google is your friend

Quote Originally Posted by Priest Becker
    Thanks man i apreciate it (damned my horrible spelling)
    no problem. if you need anything else just email me at theillchef@aol.com and i'd be glad to help you out anytime. there's a great lesson similair to what you are looking for by shaun baxter in guitar techniques, from a couple of months ago. if you email me i'll transfer it to powertab and send the mp3's with it too.

For 2nps I pretty much practice the pentatonic scales and the diminished scales.
    v2sw3CUhw6ln3pr6OFck3ma9u6Lw3Xm6l6Ui2Ne5t5TSFDAb8T DOen7g6RZATHCMHPa21s6MSr53Dp3hackerkey

I am curious how you execute the diminished scale with 2 nps?
    Maybe you mean Diminished arpeggios?
    "Listen to the Spaces Between the sounds."
    Szulc's Site

"Listen to the Spaces Between the sounds."
    Szulc's Site

First check out EricV's article on Steve Morse or go look up powertabs for Steve Morse stuff, he does a lot of 2 nps and 1nps picking stuff.

Learn diminished 7 arpeggios. Once you learn them on the fretboard you'll notice the easiest way to play them is 2 and 1 nps.

No offense but I don't think you looked very hard through the articles on this site. EricV I know has at least 5-10 articles on picking (which I'm sure have a lot on 2 nps and 1 nps stuff) and SZulc's difficult picking exercises article is pretty much what you're looking for (lot's of 2 nps stuff) and I'm sure there are many more.
    "I eat luggage."