Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: My take on Purple Haze

My take on Purple Haze

Here's a version of Purple Haze we did recently on a live gig.

The sound quality is not so great, it was recorded with a stereo mic and a MD in front of the stage.

I'd be happy to have some feedback/criticism/ideas/whatever from you guys.

Download the file here

PS: I did't do the vocals, so don't blame me for them.

Hey, cool! What gear were you playing?

Vocals aside, I think it's pretty cool - tasty tones, solid groove, and nice guitar work.
    --
    David M. McLean
    Skinny Devil Music Lab
    www.skinnydevil.com

"...embrace your fear..."

Thanks!

I use the PRS CE 24 guitar (the one in the avatar), a Marshall JMP-1 preamp, Marshall 20/20 power amp, t.c. G-Major for effects and Laney or Marshall 4x12 cab. There are some pictures on my site.

Hey Matze, heading from the beautiful city of Freiburg! I just recently was in Freiburg with a girlfriend and have some good memories. By accident I checked out the Jazz und Rock Schule! Is it any good?

Great recording there, good sounds and playing and I even liked the vocals specialy when your getting a little bit more screamy.
    I┤m sure you┤ve heard PG┤s version of "Purple Haze" from the Tribute album, right? Some of your licks are very Gilbert┤ish.

Anyway, thumbs up!

TK

Hey Thorsten,

you're of course right with the PG influence in my playing. But I guess you also listened very closely to some of his licks, too.

Ten years ago or so I took lessons at the Jazz und Rockschule. They have some very good teachers there.

Did you have a gig in Freiburg? If you play somewhere in my region, please drop me a line, I'd love to see you live at some time.

Hi Matze,

I just visited a girlfriend who lives in Stra▀bourg and we took a trip but if I play in that region I┤ll let you know.

A friend of mine is about to study at the Jazz und Rock Schule that┤s why I was interested. Maybe I┤ll visit him and we can meet up too and jam and share PG licks...

Till then
    TK