Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: finger independance

all around psycho

finger independance

working on breaking old habits I realized my finger independance sucks. For example when I do a bend with any finger, my other fingers do a bending motion with it which makes it harder to bend and fret something faster.

Also I saw this thing on a site that tests your finge rindependance where you have your left palm facing you and try to bend each finger to your palm without your other fingers moving at all. And I can't do it at all with any finger!

So what can I do to improve my finger independance?

permutations... is what i call it

basicly get the basic 1234 down one string, then change it, to some thing like say... 1324 there are something like 24 combinations (3241 can be used aswel(not just starting from 1st fret)
    if you can get up to a good speed with all these patterns it should help because no pattern will be a 'suprise' to your fingers dont expect to become blisteringly fast with all the patterns any time soon, some of them are very unatural and at first the fingers get confused :'(
    well for me they did, when i was introduced i hadnt been playing long.

thats just my insight, i'm sure therre much more that can help this.
    ~ Chris ~
    ~ Boselecta242@hotmail.com ~
    (have msn messaanger :P add me! lets chat!)

Laiho's heir guitarist wild_child's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wiechfreak
    Also I saw this thing on a site that tests your finge rindependance where you have your left palm facing you and try to bend each finger to your palm without your other fingers moving at all.
    is this physically possible? i'd like to see somebody actually do that without tearing the tendons in their fingers....

an excercise i found helpful is kinda the opposite of the supportive fingering one. do the chromatic excercise, but only have one finger touching the fretboard at any one time, and concentrate also on not lifting the fingers which aren't in use more than a few mm away from the fretboard.
    "Remember, it's all good, everything goes and there ain't no damned rules or boundaries. So get off! Tear it a fresh ***, tear it hard, rip gaping holes in it! Make tracks, leave marks!

"forever stronger than all" - Dimebag Darrell

the finger this is possible, i can do it, exept with the pinky but the one next o it is only dragged down a very slight bit cos the skin next to it pull it down.

one finger on the board at a time good advice combine mine and that and u should be sorted, just keep at it, practice makes... better(nobodys perfect... some may argure jesus, but not at guitar... lets not go into that yea?)
    ~ Chris ~
    ~ Boselecta242@hotmail.com ~
    (have msn messaanger :P add me! lets chat!)

all around psycho
    my friend can do that exercise easily first time he saw it with al lhis fingers! I was like what the heck?