Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Thumb pains

Skeletor's gots da funk. Skeletor's Avatar

Thumb pains

Alright, I have a weird thumb apparently. There's nothing wrong with it I don't think, but everyone else I know, when they completely extend their thumb it's straight, where as my thumb completely extended looks like an upside down "L" (From my point of view)

Now, this seems to be affecting my playing because after a set or even just an intense practice my thumb hurts like mad. Could it just be the way I'm holding the neck or are my hands just not built for playing the guitar?
    Moi.

Django Reinhardt had missing fingers
    Tommi Iommi had no finger tips
    Some people play with their feet!

so i wouldn't say your hands are not good for guitar.

One small thing i might consider is the fact that maybe your thumb is not trained enough for some kind of strong holds so you might need training on that (i.e. more playing). Happens to me when i have way too many barre chords my thumb muscles just numbs out.

Another possible thing might the the posture. GENERALLY i repeat GENERALLY (that is most people but not necessarily everyone) the thumb is placed in from of the Middle finger but you should find the most comfortable positions for you which gives you best performance (streches, strength etc)

Or maybe a wider neck would be more comfortable but i'd try hard on the first two point i mentioned first.

I'm no teacher but i don't think the shape of your thumb is the problem

hope for other posts maybe someone met the same problem.
    Edwin Land: Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity.

I'll try that out, thanks.
    Moi.

I've got the exact same thing. Your thumbs are hyper-mobile. I'm guessing you have it in both thumbs. For me, I get strains along the back of my thumbs sometimes. The pattern is that it always happens when my thumb is extended and I have the "L-shape" you mention, and the trigger of the strain is from tensing them up.

You'll be ok as long as you don't tense it when it's fully extended and you've got the sharp angle thing going on. I come close to strains when playing piano sometimes because I can lose concentration and tense my hands when (trying) hard stuff, and my thumb(s) says "NO, Stop!".

About hurting after playing; nothing should "hurt" as a result of playing. If it is, you're doing something wrong and have to stop doing it. As long as you stay relaxed when playing you shoud be fine.
    Last edited by Alan(Lost); 09-03-2004 at 12:35 AM.

Thanks, I like that term "Hyper-mobile" I'll remember that.
    Moi.

Yes you have a hyper-mobile thumb that also means that when you play you need to try to push inward ( like in the direction of your palm)with the ball of you thumb. This will straighten the thumb and not put all the pressure on the joint. If you play an electric then hug the neck with your thumb to keep it straight. If you play classical then at least try to keep the top phalange (piece) and part of the second flat on the back of the neck whenever possible.
    I've actually seen people with thumbs that go pass an "L" good luck.