Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yngwie's speed

Yngwie's speed

Hi, I have Yngwie's "Odyssey" and "Trilogy" albums, they sound good but the solos aren't very fast at all. This sounds odd when I hear alot of people saying how fast he is. Did Yngwie just get alot faster after these albums?

Surely you're joking...
    -Bizarro
    Google is your friend

No, I'm serious

I'm certainly not trying to say that Yngwie isn't good. I definately can't play as good as him, but the sweep picking on those albums is very slow compared to others I have heard.

before oddessy yngwei nearly DIED in a car wreck and he was told he never would play again, he got his speed back but it wasnt the same,. a car wreck can change things. but once again, hes one of the fastest around

he also said it was his worst attempt, he didnt really liek the record, especially "heaven tonight"

what do you mean not fast?

you mean he's not fast ALL the time, or when he plays at his fastest he's not so fast?

me scratching head i wish i could say that
    Edwin Land: Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity.

Sweep picking is one thing... In terms of sheer picking speed even Steve Vai has said that Yngwie is at the top of the heap. It doesn't really matter though.

Speed is only one aspect of his music. The main thing is the music itself, and he writes a lot of great music that millions of people love.

Another thing to consider is that Yngwie's solos are improvised.
    -Bizarro
    Google is your friend

Junkie for soulful guitar metalprep6969's Avatar
    Not all of Yngwie's solos are improvised. He composes a lot of the arpeggio runs and licks and such. I think when Yngwie first came out, he was so utterly revolutionary and fast, he was definitely one of the fastest around, but more modern players like Petrucci, Gilbert, Michael Angelo, and Rusty Cooley have seriously raised the bar.

\m/
    ...Like a child who's run away...

...And won't be coming back...

yea rusty cooley for sure, that guy is ridiculously fast. Paul Gilberts playing is just so tasteful no matter what he plays , fast, slow, bluesy.. always good.

For me fast plus always good is Steve vai.His music is very fast and also you could enjoy it very much.I can listen to his music again,but many fast players are fast but it becomes boring.IMO,making music,good music should be more focused aim than fast music.

street_lethal, here's some of my opinions on PG's playing. A lot of the old Racer X stuff seemed to contain some cheesy and boring licks that were fast just for the sake of being fast (Y.R.O and Frenzy, for example). Post Racer X PG definitely favors substance over speed, but he still throws in the insanely fast stuff, yet tasteful, when required.
    Personally, I can really hear how he matured from a 17 year old kid (early Racer X) to a very tasty musician later on.
    -Bizarro
    Google is your friend

bizarro, I'm impressed i think you hit the nail on the head (and also tells me a lot about your abilities).

i'm quoting from your other post,

IMO, it only takes 2-3 years to develop mega speed and chops if you are extremely dedicated and know how to practice.
    Like you I think, Technically you can reach a good level in a relatively short time (what are 3/5 years in a human beings life?), but I think it's the "aging" part of a human being which gives him/her the maturity to become a musician.

my humble opinion
    Edwin Land: Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity.

all around psycho
    jeez before I came to this forum I thought Jmmy Paige and Kirk Hammet were fast! And I still think they're quite fast but malmsteen is just crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Bizarro
    street_lethal, here's some of my opinions on PG's playing. A lot of the old Racer X stuff seemed to contain some cheesy and boring licks that were fast just for the sake of being fast (Y.R.O and Frenzy, for example). Post Racer X PG definitely favors substance over speed, but he still throws in the insanely fast stuff, yet tasteful, when required.
    Personally, I can really hear how he matured from a 17 year old kid (early Racer X) to a very tasty musician later on.
    i agree in a way that most of the stuff on street lethal was pretty fast and yes frenzy for speed for speeds sake for sure, seeing as its just the easy three notes per string stuff, and y.r.o basiccaly contains the exact same licks as frenzy, but there is alot of good soloing on the record like blowin up the radio and the solo in rock it, but yea i can agree with you when you mention his playing nowadays

p.s he was 19 when street lethal came out

Afro-Cuban Grunge-Pop Bongo Boy's Avatar
    I don't think I've ever listened to music and wondered if the musicians could do it faster. You know, like, "I wonder if Don Giovanni could be performed in 8 minutes with a faster orchestra" or, "Perlman reals gets on it with that Tchaikovsy solo--I wonder if he ever learned to do it faster." Is this perspective unique to guitarists?

I'd think that, at some speed, we should be able to get a machine to do the job far better than a human player with an instrument. You know, far higher speed, better articulation, etc. Plus, you wouldn't have to be concerned with the problem of Guitar Face.
    Last edited by Bongo Boy; 09-05-2004 at 05:43 AM.
    Pulsing the System with Confirmed Nonsense.

Bongo, guitar players are *weird*. What other instrument has such a large population which thinks music theory is "bad" for you? And yes, I'm a guitarist...
    -Bizarro
    Google is your friend