Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: What about a Gibson Humbucker in a Strat-like guitar?

What about a Gibson Humbucker in a Strat-like guitar?

hi, ihave a Pacifica 112 Yamaha, which has a fender-like tone, but i would like to have the sound of a Gibson, so id like to buy the humbucker that is used in Les Paul Gibson. How is this humbucker called? and are the two humbuckers on a Les Paul different?
    The neck of my pacifica is pretty good, and it sounds good, so i dont think it would be a good idea to buy a whole new guitar... how much does the Les paul humbucker cost??
    can you explain what would be the difference between a gibson les paul, and a yamaha pacifica that has a Les paul humbucker in it?
    thanks a lot

Hi Milo,
    Gibson uses different types of pickups in the various types of LP's, that is too say, a Les Paul Standard will have different pups than a Les Paul Classic or reissue.
    Pickups are made, specifically for the position they're in, bridge or neck ( they are different ).
    There are likely too be many differences between the Pacifica and the LP. I don't think you'll ever get one to sound like the other. You, certainly can add a humbucker to your guitar, (it's a fairly common set up to have one in the bridge possition) but you're either going to have to learn a lot about specific pups or talk to a qualified tech. about the sound you're looking for, he/she should be able to make some, sound recommendations -- pun intended -

Hope this is helpfull
    -best,
    Mike

so it could be a way of creating my own sound which would depend on whether i use a bridge or neck pickup.
    i dont know how different from a Gibson LP it would be in my pacifica. Actually, what are the most important differences between a LP and a 112 pacifica? (except maybe the kind of wood used). do you know how much does LP studio humbucker cost? and a reissue humbucker?
    thx a lot for your help

Well, I'm not familiar with the Pacifica line but the electronics are likely too be very different, between the two guitars. The values of the potentiometers and capacitors will effect the way the signal is proccessed, (the sound produced). Each of these manufacturers will use specific wiring schematics and values for components that, ideally match with each other, as well as the pickups.
    You'd, also want to know the specs. (more or less) of the pups you want to use with your new humbucker. Things like the type of magnet used and the number of wraps, (amount of wire used on the pickup) will determine how "hot" the pup is. You don't want to drop a pup in that's going to drown out the others, or be drowned out. There is a balance that you want to maintain between the pups.
    As far as cost, you'll have to check with your local dealers and see what they charge.

In spite of my ramblings, I'm not a technical "wiz". I'd recommend that you speak with a tech. Tell him/her what you're looking for and get explanations of your options.

-best,
    Mike