Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: I want a new amp

User that's registered MontgomeryGoo's Avatar

I want a new amp

I've a few that I like the look of :a 40W Marshall DSL-401 on www.gak.co.uk, for £397. Is this a reasonable price? On that same note I've found a 40w Fender Hot Rod Deluxe on www.gak.co.uk, £495. Is this a reasonable price?
    Which would you guys say is better? Which do you prefer? I'm leaning the way of the Marshall, cos it's cheaper , although I have got an extra £100 or so that was gonna be for a new pickup...

You are going to go on someones opinion of it here and buy it strait off of the net without trying it first? Are you mad? Go and try the amps out for god sakes.

i was just wondering what you guys thought. did i say i was gonna buy it JUST off of someone elses opinion?

Agree with Rizla....if possible, check them out in a stroe.

Anyway, as far as I know, the Marshall DSL-401/201 combos had reability issues in the past (getting friggin' hot, solder joints crapping out, blowing rectifiers if played loud etc.). Also, the claimed 40 Watts seemed way overrated. Compared, a HR Deluxe sounds rather like 80 Watts.

I used to have a Fender HotRod Deville (4 x 10", 60W) for a couple of years and it was a good amp (good clean, decent overdrive) and I never had any trouble with it. It was friggin' loud amp, too.

Maybe you check the reviews at Harmony-Central (www.harmony-central.com).

I read that the fender hot rod amps have a linear pot or whatever they call em, for the volumn knob where it should of had an exponential one (go here to read everything haveing to do with the delux/deville http://studentweb.eku.edu/justin_holton/) so at "low" volume settings it would be alot louder then it should be, and thus there isnt too much different from say 4-10 as opposed if it had a....

well ill shut up and just post the real stuff

"these turkeys had put a LINEAR taper pot in there where an AUDIO taper pot belonged. All volume controls should be audio taper. That’s why they’re called “audio” taper. The ear hears sound levels exponentially, on a logarithmic scale. A sound with ten times the power of another sound we perceive as TWICE as loud, not ten times as loud. If we use a linear taper potentiometer in a standard volume control circuit, we will hear “10” as only twice as loud as “1.” If we use an audio taper pot, “10” will sound ten times as loud as “1,” which is what we expect. Since 10=10 no matter what, an audio taper pot will have a much lower level “1” than a linear taper pot. Fender’s engineers know this. Therefore, Fender has been using this trick for some time on their solid-state amps, which are primarily targeted to the lower end of the market where the less experienced players buy. A player walks into the music store, plugs in and turns up to “2.” The amp wails like a banshee, and he/she immediately turns the volume down to about “1/2” so as not to be expelled from the store. The player thinks, “wow, if this thing is this loud at 2, it must have just gobs of volume in reserve. If I buy this amp, my drummer will never be able to drown me out again!” Cha-ching, another amp sold"

just thought id post that for some extra info , and if you want to get a fender deville/delux i suggest you read through that site....it looks like if you do get one you can pretty much adjust the sound to your needs (if your an electrician or know someone lol)

well that was sorta alot of text sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by schematics
    Anyway, as far as I know, the Marshall DSL-401/201 combos had reability issues in the past (getting friggin' hot, solder joints crapping out, blowing rectifiers if played loud etc.). Also, the claimed 40 Watts seemed way overrated. Compared, a HR Deluxe sounds rather like 80 Watts.
    could I not open up the back or something or even remove it to make it get less hot, if i were to like it enough to buy it?

Quote Originally Posted by schematics
    Agree with Rizla....if possible, check them out in a stroe.

I used to have a Fender HotRod Deville (4 x 10", 60W) for a couple of years and it was a good amp (good clean, decent overdrive) and I never had any trouble with it. It was friggin' loud amp, too.

Maybe you check the reviews at Harmony-Central (www.harmony-central.com).
    I currently use a Deville 2x12... I agree... nice clean... REALLY loud too! (and it's only two speakers) ... but if he's looking at things like Marshall's this thing won't cut it without some help in the overdrive department... I don't know how the 4x12 is (same wattage as the 2x12) but I doubt the overdrive is any different.

I'm currently looking at Mesas. I heard the new Stilletto is out.

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Dan
    I currently use a Deville 2x12... I agree... nice clean... REALLY loud too! (and it's only two speakers) ... but if he's looking at things like Marshall's this thing won't cut it without some help in the overdrive department... I don't know how the 4x12 is (same wattage as the 2x12) but I doubt the overdrive is any different.
    If by that you mean me, then I'm not solely focussing on Marshalls, I'm looking at a Peavey Revolution combo, it has some good reviews, I'm gonna go see if they have any at my NEW local guitar place (iv just moved to uni, you see - that means Im cheap too ).

Quote Originally Posted by MontgomeryGoo
    could I not open up the back or something or even remove it to make it get less hot, if i were to like it enough to buy it?
    Maybe you can install a fan or something, don't know.

A good sounding amp is the Crate VC3112, loud 30 Watts Class A, 1 x 12".
    The Clean channel is very good and the overdrive too, gain galore, better and more modern sounding than a Fender HotRod (at least for me). The new models (VC 3112) look slightly different than the old ones (Vintage Club 30), but I think the preamp/power amp section is the same. Maybe you check one out if you can find it in some musicstore.
    Last edited by schematics; 10-01-2004 at 11:32 PM.