Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Odd groupings

Floydy

Odd groupings

Hey wasnt sure where to put this so:
    Ive been trying to experiment with using diffreerent time signatures other than 4/4 etc, stuff like 5/4 and 7/4 and while i was doing is i started trying to play cept tuplets (sp?) you know, 5 notes to a click and i just cant get a knack for it, so i was wondering if anyone tried to learn how to do this and what excercises or approaches they used?

thanks in advance

Edwin Land: Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity.

I've picked that kind of stuff up by setting the metronome real slow (50bpm) and playing it on one string. Then you could try mixing them with more common groupings, alternate between a group of 16ths and 16th note triplets, etc.
    http://www.keith-moore.net . All things guitar: Jam tracks, lessons, blog and more!

When playing odd groupings I find it helpful to count. When I actually count it becomes easier. Like I take syllables and break them up as I play the group. For pentuplet ( a septuplet is a group of 7 instead of 5), I would use the phrase "creative aura" and split it up into cre a tive au ra or something like that. I don't use creative aura but it serves as an example. Same thing applies to 6th, 7th, 8, 9th, and 10th groupings. It's kinda of hard when doing a polyrhythm though...lol.
    v2sw3CUhw6ln3pr6OFck3ma9u6Lw3Xm6l6Ui2Ne5t5TSFDAb8T DOen7g6RZATHCMHPa21s6MSr53Dp3hackerkey

In 5/4, usually you count: (123 12) (123 12) ... for each beat. It's easier to break it up this way intead of: 12345 for each beat. You might also want to accent the 12s each time.

In 7/4: (1234 123) ...

I hope this helps.
    VidKid
    Last edited by VidKid; 10-21-2004 at 03:36 AM.

Syllables.

5 notes per beat = 5 syllables. Try putting a metronome on and singing Hippopotamus. Hipp-o-pot-a-mus Hipp-o-pot-a-mus Hipp-o-pot-a-mus Hipp-o-pot-a-mus Hipp-o-pot-a-mus Hipp-o-pot-a-mus Hipp-o-pot-a-mus Hipp-o-pot-a-mus Hipp-o-pot-a-mus Hipp-o-pot-a-mus Hipp-o-pot-a-mus Hipp-o-pot-a-mus...................etc. Until you start to have bad dreams about Hippo's.

Just realise Org beat me to it.