Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Noise Suppressors

Noise Suppressors

Hey guys,
    Having recently purchased a new guitar and gone through a nightmare of microphonic feedback , I got the pickups potted and this seems to have helped the problem, though I still can't get to high volumes on my amp with gain on 10 without getting microphonic feedback when not playing (the bad kind of feedback)...would a noise suppressor/noise gate solve this problem?

Any help is appreciated. Cheers.

Turn it dooooooooowwwwwwnnnnnn, bro.

Seriously, though.....I'd go borrow one or take my rig to a store and try out their gates. You shouldn;t get ANY kind of feedback when the volume is down (whether using your knob, a volume pedal, or an auto gate), so I suspect your hunch is correct - but I'd do the experiment before dropping a dime on it.
    --
    David M. McLean
    Skinny Devil Music Lab
    www.skinnydevil.com

"...embrace your fear..."

Well when the volume is between 0 and 1 its fine (120 Watt amp you see) but I get it if I am somewhat close and have high gain on higher volumes ...I suspect that it may be a microphonic tube in the amp also. Because I get this feedback even at band practise levels. Any views/experiences with microphonic tubes?

Its a Laney Tube Fusion Amp, TFX3, its got a ECC83 Tube in the Preamp.

try not pointing your pickups to the amp
    it works for me
    To see into my eyes, you'll find where murder lies!

Metallica

Nope, that doesn't solve it. I think it might be microphonic preamp tube (something in it rattles at loud volumes causing a terrible squeal) ..anyone ever experienced such?

No, but since microphonic feedback is a physical thing (well, OK - in fairness, all feedback is physical, but you know what I mean), you might just try opening up the box and checking for rattles. You might also check your guitar.

Is the feedback present with ALL guitars or just your main axe?
    --
    David M. McLean
    Skinny Devil Music Lab
    www.skinnydevil.com

"...embrace your fear..."

Its present on both guitars I have.... both a Yamaha RGX421DM and Jackson Professional ATX Dinky.

When I got the Jackson it had microphonics problems so I had to get the pickups potted, the problem is much less now.

It happens with both guitars still though, less on the Yamaha but still present (note the Jackson is higher output, but it produces a more high pitched feedback )....I get to maybe 1.5 with the Jackson and 2 or 3 with the Yamaha before it is unbearable.

So I'm at my wits end and its driving me insane, it is either Tube Microphonics, or something is stuffin up in the electronics compartment of my Jackson.