Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: the slowest finger

the slowest finger

Hey guys!!

I've been playing for about 5 years now, and just recently I've noticed that my left hand technique has one serious flaw.... MY INDEX FINGER!!! For some reason, my index finger is horribly inaccurate, slow, weak (even compared to my pinky) and just stinks. Does anyone know of any exercises that can help me develop better index finger chops.

~darknail

â˙×Ä-box▓ฮดุฐฒฤฮถดฤณฮดุฐฒ
    Yeah, try the intro to Thunderstruck by AC/DC and instead of just changing positions after a whole measure, change it all the time..

B string |:-0-4-0-7-0-5-0-8-0-:|

and then take the next part, the descending part from the 12th fret. Play it as fast as you can.

If you really want something out of it, keep your thumb locked, so you have to move index finger around instead of moving the hand.
    This song is a good exercise because of the hammer-ons/pull offs.. (I haven't included them in my crappy tab, but hopefully you know the song and figure it out)
    "You don't fill somebody's shoes, you come with your own shoes and kick the door down!!!" - Zakk Wylde

Yeah Angus can kick ***!!

Another very good exercise is this:

write down the numbers 1 to 4 (like this: 1 2 3 4)
    now write down ALL possible variations (1243; 1342; 2134; 4213 etc...)
    now : your index finger is 1; your middle finger is 2; your ring finger is 3 and yeah you guessed it your pinky is 4.
    now pick up the guitar and start playing let's say 5 variations you pick out and play them for a minute or two each in a fret position of your choice, start out slowly. Do this every day (increase the practise time if you will) and if you get bored try to move up and down the neck, skip strings, get it faster, etc...
    it's also good to get the coordination of both hands in order

It's aerobic for the fingers and remember:

NEVER play through pain!!

Sven
    - Is it just me or do the turning points always seem to derive from loss?? - D. Gildenl÷w -