Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: How Many Positions Of 3nps Scales!!!

Trying To Be Humble! Voodoo-Child's Avatar

How Many Positions Of 3nps Scales!!!

I am looking to break out of using Box-Shapes, and start exploring the 3nps Scales, for use in my Improvisation!

I have seen 2 Postitions of the 3nps Scales, in a book, but I was wondering how many differant Positions there actually are?

Isn't there 7?

Five positions up the neck.
    http://www.guitarstuff.com/lessons/m.../majscale.html

Seven Major mode patterns
    http://www.guitarstuff.com/lessons/majmode/majmode.html

Notice the five positions patterns are the same as the following mode patterns:

Position one and the Ionian mode are the same.
    Position two and the Dorian mode are the same.
    Position three and the Phrygian mode are the same.
    Position four and the Mixolydian mode are the same.
    Position five and the Aeolian mode are the same.

The five positions leave out Lydian and Locrian as the patterns overlap and make learning how to take the positions up the neck complecated. Get the five in your bag of tricks, plenty of time to go back and get Lydian and Locrian.

Breaking out of the 3nps and opening up your fretboard.

Start position one - for G at the 3rd fret 6th string, and then notices where you little finger leaves off -- 5th fret….Start position two where the little finger left off (5th fret) now notice your little finger ends on the 8th fret, however this once you back up between the 2nd and 3rd position and start the 3rd position on the 7th fret. Your little finger leaves off on the 10th fret and yes you start the 4th position on the 10th fret. Your little finger leaves off on the 12th fret so you start the 5th position on the 12 and end on the 15th. NOW you are sounding like a mandolin so go back and start over at the 3rd fret. (15-3=12 and your nut and 12 are the same thing). So we are back to the starting position for G. You just took the G scale up the neck from the 3rd to the 15th fret.

Want to do this with the A Major scale --- Start the first position on the 5th fret and walk up using the little finger rule and then circle back to the 2nd fret for position 5.

Want to take a minor scale up the neck. Place position 5 (which is the minor scale & Aeolian mode pattern) on the root note you want to play in and walk it up the neck. 5,1,2,3,4 and then start over with position 5 again.

You just took a Major scale up the neck and you took a minor scale up the neck. You also took the Ionian and Aeolian mode up the neck -- using this same little finger rule. Want to take the Dorian mode up the neck? Start the 2nd position on the root note you want to play Dorian in and walk it up using the little finger rule. I think you can take it from here.....

Your fretboard just opened up. Have fun.
    Last edited by Malcolm; 11-21-2004 at 10:48 PM.

It's good to get a sequence going , in your picking , when going through scales , heres a Power Tab of a Paul Gilbert sequence , that mighnt give you some ideas
    ________
    WEB SHOWS
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Sir Speedy; 09-15-2011 at 08:11 AM.

Afro-Cuban Grunge-Pop Bongo Boy's Avatar
    Hey Sir Speedy, that's quite nice (C ma modes)--thanks for posting that up. I only hope my fingers will learn as much from it as I think my ears will!
    Pulsing the System with Confirmed Nonsense.

Thanks Bongo,

This version of the C Maj Modes exercise , starts on D min7, then goes to Emin7 , F maj7 ,G maj7, A min, B7b5, and ends on C major7, with the coorisponding "Mode Scale " going over top of it .
    I tried to make it sound Musical , like , it's not really an Exercise .
    Plus i know this exercise could be overlooked because the scales are only 1 octave , and have no Pain inducing Finger stretches , which is a real turn off , being as there is little risk of injury , so , yeah , it's kind of wimpy , okay , i admit it . It's not like dropping of the garage roof on your brothers Kmart mountain bike.
    ________
    black girl Cams
    Last edited by Sir Speedy; 09-15-2011 at 08:12 AM.

Afro-Cuban Grunge-Pop Bongo Boy's Avatar
    Plenty challenging enough for me. I'll be working on this for a long, long time--and I probably wouldn't bother if it didn't sound pretty nice. Yeah, I thought it sounded like it would be fun to work on and to try to get some speed behind. Eventually.
    Pulsing the System with Confirmed Nonsense.

Sorry tointerrupt, but actually, there are SEVEN different 3NPS-patterns. Of course, Malcolm is correct, there are 5major scale patterns, and also, the "7 modes" page he linked to is correct as well, However, those are not entirely 3NPS patterns, since they have 3 notes on some strings, and 2 on others.
    Since Voodoo-child was asking for 3NPS patterns in particular, I figured IŽd point that out. Here is a link to my page 2 of my 3NPS article:

http://www.ibreathemusic.com/article/86/1

Once again, the sites Malcolm linked to, and what he said, is correct as well. Those patterns are just as useful as 3NPS patterns. And there are several different ways you can put a given scale into a pattern.
    However, since the question was about "real" 3 NPS scales ( which have certain advantages ) I figured IŽd chime in
    Eric

NP: Tommy Emmanuel - Only

Trying To Be Humble! Voodoo-Child's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EricV
    Sorry tointerrupt, but actually, there are SEVEN different 3NPS-patterns. Of course, Malcolm is correct, there are 5major scale patterns, and also, the "7 modes" page he linked to is correct as well, However, those are not entirely 3NPS patterns, since they have 3 notes on some strings, and 2 on others.
    Since Voodoo-child was asking for 3NPS patterns in particular, I figured IŽd point that out. Here is a link to my page 2 of my 3NPS article:

http://www.ibreathemusic.com/article/86/1

Once again, the sites Malcolm linked to, and what he said, is correct as well. Those patterns are just as useful as 3NPS patterns. And there are several different ways you can put a given scale into a pattern.
    However, since the question was about "real" 3 NPS scales ( which have certain advantages ) I figured IŽd chime in
    Eric

NP: Tommy Emmanuel - Only
    Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for!