Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: How long does it take to learn guitar?

Quote Originally Posted by joeyd929 View Post
    I think you get the general idea of what I'm saying based on the way you teach...I have posted this link at an earlier date but here is the youtube video that I discovered which is more or less the "proof" that all people play by ear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_7DgCrziI8

Not sure I believe everything he said in the video about brain connection as music to me is more soulful than something so mechanical. Great music to me is always spiritual and the ability to portray it is brain or mind to hands.

But the point he was making corresponds to athletes in that it is visualized or in this case auralized which is really what separates great athletes or musicians from lesser performers.

How many great golfers do we hear say they visualize the shot before they make it. Many if not most.

I think Beethoven is a great example of this. He wrote songs after going deaf because he could still hear it in his head and from his years of practice new how to write it to make it sound like what he heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Iprogdrummer View Post
    Um....Somebody turned you down for lessons?!!? Just sayin.....(?)
    You can take online lessons now & from some really great players/teachers!

It really depends on the effort that you put into your practicing. If you don't put much effort, you won't get much result.

Amount of effort and what you define as 'good'.

For example you could take about a year and be able to play some simple rock tunes or between 1 and 2 for some more 'involved' rock tunes.

But if you goal is something technical and precise like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9RJXWxth5g

It's gonna take lots of time and effort and practice and EVERYTHING ELSE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chim_Chim
    Be different.

Do it for the OATMEAL.

Smile

I've learn to play guitar since I was in high school and until now I have not mastered it. Its true that it is easy to learn, but the mastery of guitar playing will take you forever. Specially if you don't practice what you've learned often. Today, my brother is more expert on playing the guitar than me because he does it almost everyday. Yey him!
    Last edited by Crossroads; 02-14-2013 at 07:46 AM.

Cool Newb Ahoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Blutwulf View Post
    Damn you, vile popster! Well... Okay. I guess you're right. *sigh Rock has died, replaced by beeps and whistle dance music.

But as long as there is a Blutwulf to draw air into his lungs, there will always be a market for 70's rock and the electric guillotine of an open E major hammered by a windmilling arm and fed through a moaning tube amp...
    I'm 28 (so just missed the 'good old days'), but I'm sensing a revival - 70's rock is most definitely not dead!

With regards to the OP, I've not quite gotten on course with the learning of the necessary skills. I do have a basic electric guitar to attempt to practice on, but can't even tune it without the electric tuner. I'm such a loser!

I've discovered, at least with getting the basics sorted, I'm going to need a pro (any advice on how to select a guitar tutor would be super handy)! Thank you for a general idea of time frames though. I'm willing to put the time in, around work and my English degree (home learning), but I'm waaaaay more focused when I have deadlines, like a tutor going: "Yo, woman, you gotta learn this sh*t by next week, or you suck!" Or something to that effect.

Is having little fingers going to be a problem?

IMHO I don't think finger size matters! Yes long slender fingers are a great advantage but not all of us are born with them. You learn to adapt a long the way.

What you put into playing and practicing is what you get out of it. I have been playing for 4 years and so much more advanced than my friend who has been playing for about 7. He plays and practices whenever! The difference is I play and practice every single day. I have missed 3 days in 4 years due to illness. I work full time, have 3 boys and cook and clean just like every other Mom on the block. I think it has to do a lot with passion. Sometimes I don't want to practice as I would rather play but then again when I do play I still practice but not as much as a regular practice session with scales, technique, timing etc. I live to play.

Quote Originally Posted by diesel View Post
    IMHO I don't think finger size matters! Yes long slender fingers are a great advantage but not all of us are born with them. You learn to adapt a long the way.

What you put into playing and practicing is what you get out of it. I have been playing for 4 years and so much more advanced than my friend who has been playing for about 7. He plays and practices whenever! The difference is I play and practice every single day. I have missed 3 days in 4 years due to illness. I work full time, have 3 boys and cook and clean just like every other Mom on the block. I think it has to do a lot with passion. Sometimes I don't want to practice as I would rather play but then again when I do play I still practice but not as much as a regular practice session with scales, technique, timing etc. I live to play.
    Thank you for the reply, diesel. I'm fully prepared to do the time! I'm just finding it frustrating at the moment when I don't know what I'm actually doing wrong. Unfortunately, as much as I love books (even when coupled with online/dvd tutorials), they're just not the same as actually having someone there and teaching you the 'right' way of doing it.

Got to get the basics right before I can make progress, me thinks!

And, wow! That's pretty amazing that you've only missed four days! I bet you certainly do get the benefit of that too.

Sorry CW I forgot to tell you that I had lessons for a year or there abouts. I just got fed up with the way I was being taught. I had 3 different teachers! While I did learn a few things from them they were mostly after my money. they all wanted to teach me songs without teaching me even the notes on the fretboard. OMG I was so angry! I just got so fed up that I thought that I was smart enough to be able to teach myself. There is so much stuff on the internet and there's a myriad of teaching dvd's out there. I haven't looked back!

Sorry CW I forgot to tell you that I had lessons for a year or there abouts. I just got fed up with the way I was being taught. I had 3 different teachers! While I did learn a few things from them they were mostly after my money. they all wanted to teach me songs without teaching me even the notes on the fretboard. OMG I was so angry! I just got so fed up that I thought that I was smart enough to be able to teach myself. There is so much stuff on the internet and there's a myriad of teaching dvd's out there. I haven't looked back!
    Scam artists are definitely a very active breed. If a tutor advertises as teaching music theory, that should mean they are willing and able to teach notes. Thereby eliminating spending unnecessarily high amounts of cash on tutors that don't teach; just act as a walking, talking songbook, right? I posted a question on the 'Getting Started' page just asking if anyone has any information on what I should be looking for when trying to find a decent tutor.

So far, I've spotted websites for two 'local' tutors and there are pros and cons to them both. The first is younger, doesn't mention much about teaching theory, aside from school/university courses, but his credentials look good. He also uses an online resource called Grooveshark to link students, and view playlists, listen to what you've been able to play... etc, which looks interesting. But I'm currently leaning to a gentleman in his late 30s (I think), who works as a sessional musician, tailors the lessons according to what "I" want (ie/ will mix in theory to whatever degree I want it, can work towards gradings if that's the plan, or just 'play for fun'). He's had a lot of experience teaching too (the first about 6 years teaching in schools, the second one about 15 years, I think, with a combination of age ranges, abilities, etc...) but I don't know what else I should be looking for.

I need a tutor to help me at least cover the basics. Really am struggling making sure that I'm getting my fingers in the right place/making the right sounds...
    "Live by intuition and inspiration and let your whole life be Revelation." - Eileen Caddy.

There are many websites around that will show you the correct finger placement! What exactly are you struggling with? Finger placement of just playing chords, arpeggios, scales or would it be techniques? Hammerons, pull off, trills etc.

Excellent finger placement is imperative in everything performed on the guitar! It's so important that you are aware of this!

http://www.guitarfriendly.net/finger...guitar-chords/

Here is one site I found in a matter of a minute or so!

Let me know so I can try and help you!

There are many websites around that will show you the correct finger placement! What exactly are you struggling with? Finger placement of just playing chords, arpeggios, scales or would it be techniques? Hammerons, pull off, trills etc.

Excellent finger placement is imperative in everything performed on the guitar! It's so important that you are aware of this!

http://www.guitarfriendly.net/finger...guitar-chords/

Here is one site I found in a matter of a minute or so!

Let me know so I can try and help you!
    Ooo thank you! I found a few this morning that I tried out before I went to bed, but I just couldn't work out how to get my fingers to work the way they should. I never knew knuckles wobble!

When I'd get my fingers in position, finger 3 would 'wobble' (quickly flicking back and forth) so the note wasn't held down properly. I'm going to put this down to a need for 'strengthening' the finger muscles though. It probably doesn't know it needs to remain stable. Yet.

I carried on practicing until I had dents in my finger tips though! I guess I'm not really going to get anywhere until I train my fingers to do my bidding.
    "Live by intuition and inspiration and let your whole life be Revelation." - Eileen Caddy.