Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: slow and fast sweep picking

slow and fast sweep picking

Hi, everyone!

So, there's this technique, sweep picking. I've just started to familiarize myself with it. I looked for tabs of sweep picking arpeggios (one note per string), and I'd like to ask you something:

So. Sweep picking is described as: let the pick "fall" from one string to the other, and do not separate the upstrokes (or downstrokes). It's quite OK, if I play a swept arpeggio fast, because I just sort of "pull" the pick across the strings while my left hand is working, and that works correctly. But if there's a new sweep picked stuff I'd like to learn, then of course I start practicing it slowly, like every other new lick. But what should I do then? If I try to sweep-pick something slowly, then I would have to pull the pick with a very slow speed, and I can't "count" out the amount of time that "the pick should spend between two strings while it's moving." That means I can't hold the tempo.(very poor english, I know). So, I guess sweep picking is a bit bad rhythmically.

So when I start practicing new sweep-stuff, then I always will do it with separating the strokes, however it's told not to be done. I can only hold the tempo like that. Of course, when it comes to faster speeds, I can manage to play with "letting the pick fall".

What do I do wrong?

Sorry for bad english...

hey bande,

sweeping is hard because the syncronisation feels wierd cause the right hand is usually faster than the left in this case. that can cause rhythmical probs - i guess that's what happens to you right now.

if you play a sweep slow, play one note with a downstroke and immediately let it rest on the next string (without striking it right away). now fret the next note and strike the string, and let the pick rest on the string below again.
    if you play the sweep back it's a bit harder cause you have to pull your hand up with the pick - then let it rest again on the string.
    for practice, you can just hit a note with a downstroke, letting it rest on the next string. then go back and do the same movement again. do that a couple of times and then go over two strings slowly but always with that little rest on the string right before you proceed. then take 3 strings.

slow sweeping isn't a flowing movement. it is more like:

tack - next string - tack - next string - tack ... and so on.

have you seen the inside of a watch, or those big gear wheels?
    take a look at the wheels of a watch that handles the seconds. i goes "tack - sits on the next tooth - tack - sit on the next and so on..

i don't know if that explanation helps in anyway, but i hope so

Well, Phantom, thank you very much, but that's the exact same way I had tried to explain. Of course, your description was a lot better.

Anyway, now I know that I've been doing things properly.
    Hmmm. It doesn't happen very often, though

I am not very nice DemonSorcerer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bande
    So. Sweep picking is described as: let the pick "fall" from one string to the other, and do not separate the upstrokes (or downstrokes).
    It's not just letting the pick "fall" from one string to the next...it's PUSHING THE PICK AGAINST THE STRINGS IN A DOWNWARD DIRECTION...letting the pick fall is a very lazy motion for sweep picking, and doesn't allow you to control the speed of your picking technique, just because gravitiy is guiding your hand...when going upwards, REMEMBER TO PULL THE PICK AGAINST THE STRINGS IN AN UPWARD DIRECTION...pull the pick evenly and smoothly, and don't separate the strokes...

The Rock Discipline vid clinic has a few great examples for great sweep picking...and, if you want more specific information about the technique, check Gambale's Monster Licks & Speed Picking video...

David
    Last edited by DemonSorcerer; 12-16-2004 at 04:21 PM.

This is sweeping slow.

This is sweeping fast.
    Attached Images Attached Images

LOL..

right on los hilarious !

LMAO

we should invent a guitarist tool box ...

brooms (for sweeping), hammers, ropes (for pulling), pickers etc

nice one boleros
    Edwin Land: Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity.