Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jerry Rafferty-Baker Street (I love this song!)

fan of the G string curiousgeorge's Avatar

Jerry Rafferty-Baker Street (I love this song!)

When I was a little kid, I used to hear this song on the radio and I've always wondered the name of the song and artist. I've heard it here and there on the radio, but they never say what the song or artist is after playing it. Then, I got lucky yesterday. I would've never guessed. I've never heard of this guy or this song, but I know this is one of my all-time favourite songs of the past. The song is really majestic and the sax lines are really rich and powerful. It always puts me in a good mood. Some people may think it's cheesy, but hey, I'm not a kid anymore and I grew up listening to my parents' music. You guys ever heard of this guy or this song?

Gerry Rafferty, I think it's with a G...

Scottish fella, big here in the UK. Baker street has ben covered and released many times most recently prolly only about 5 years ago, and also as a techno housey houisey version.

He played in a band with Billy Connolly the comedian at one stage in his early career.

Baker Street no doubt one iof his biggest hits but probably the best KNown is "stuck in the middle with you" made famous once again by it's appearance in Reservoir Dogs.

fan of the G string curiousgeorge's Avatar
    Isn't "Stuck in the Middle" a Steeler's Wheel song?

Running with the devil... Rock_Rocket's Avatar
    I like "Baker Street" a lot, too. The guitar solo to me is pretty unusual.
    AFAIK, "Right Down The Line" is another quite popular song by Gerry Rafferty.

Regards!

Rock_Rocket
    "I guess I'm always hoping that you'll end this reign, but it's my destiny to be the king of pain."

Possibly a cover, I think it's a Gerry Rafferty original.

I'm always happy to be proved wrong though...

Gerry was in Steelers Wheel

Problem solved, nice one Ash.

edit: I've always thought of Gerry Rafferty as a solo artist...that must have well pissed off the other members of the band.
    Last edited by UKRuss; 12-14-2004 at 08:06 PM. Reason: infamy

Baker Street was covered by the Foo Fighters who I think did a pretty good job at updating it. To me it sounds almost exactly the same but with different vocals and better recording.
    v2sw3CUhw6ln3pr6OFck3ma9u6Lw3Xm6l6Ui2Ne5t5TSFDAb8T DOen7g6RZATHCMHPa21s6MSr53Dp3hackerkey

Just to follow up on the rock trivia, I think that Baker street was a Solo effort post-Steelers Wheel (or maybe pre!).

I didn't hear the Foo' version...

I haven't heard the Foo's version either, I'd like to catch that!

Quote Originally Posted by UKRuss
    He played in a band with Billy Connolly the comedian at one stage in his early career.
    This was the Humblebums. Coincidentally saw one of their albums in Virgin yesterday but (not surprisingly) under the name Billy Connolly. There's also a Billy Connolly boxed set "Humble Beginnings" which has all their tracks on.

Some inspired genius created a rumour a few years back that the saxophonist on Baker St was Bob Holness (for non-UK readers, the very straight presenter of Blockbusters in the UK). It was totally untrue but it caught on and is still a common question in trivia quizzes.

ROFL!

Bob "can I have a pee please" Holness. Classic.

The Humblebums, thats the one. Cheers!

Modally Challenged!!!! mattblack850's Avatar
    At the bottom of another Bottle of Brown Ale.
    Baker Street was indeed a fine track and also his first solo effort after Stealers Wheel. As for the Humblebums, great stuff!!

By the way have you ever heard Billy Conolly play an autoharp??? He's bloody incredible, I've got one but only seem to get anywhere by stumming it, I heard him play once and he was picking out bass lines as well as playing melody lines and chordal work, Very Impressive!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mattblack850
    I heard him play once and he was picking out bass lines as well as playing melody lines and chordal work, Very Impressive!!!!!
    have you heard of Tommy Emmanuel? Australian guitarist who plays a style (amongst others) he calls 'boom-chic', (derived mainly from listening to chet atkins) with a thumb pick. he is insane, and all his boom-chic stuff has that awesome bass + melody + harmony thing going. if someone can tell me how to rip his dvd ('up close') and figure a way of sending (irc?) id be happy to share .

oh, and in relation to the topic, yeah i love that song too. i can imagine how frustrating it'd be to hear it on the radio and not know the name ). mad sax riff. i figured it out on guitar, but it isn't the same.

Modally Challenged!!!! mattblack850's Avatar
    At the bottom of another Bottle of Brown Ale.
    I have heard of Tommy, a couple of years ago I had the privelige of Landscaping his gardens and obviously got to meet him quite a few times over the couple of months we were there. One of the most humble and pleasant people I have ever met, and also very encouraging when we spoke about guitars, music and theory.

Another guy to look out for is:- Antonio Forcione, I think I've spelled that right, apologies if not, he's got a very distinct style as well.