Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Introducing the Tres Cubano

Modally Challenged!!!! mattblack850's Avatar
    At the bottom of another Bottle of Brown Ale.
    Thanks for sharing all this with us Dave!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDome
    My previous post eluded to the range of Tres instruments that are played across Cuba so here are some images to add to the info. The upright image is of a player at the Hotel Nacional in Havana, the guitar is a Requinto but we did not want to stop the guys working to gather further information. The instrument was made in Havanna and appeared to be a very high quality piece of gear.

The two images of Tres players show a player on the sugar plantation tourist train near Holguin. The grupo were very good, possbly the best we saw and the Tres player was exceptional.

The guy with the silver chain was with a grupo playing near the beach bars in Guardalavaca, pretty good too! He reckoned that I could find an instrument to buy for about $100 convertible pesos but time did not allow for further discussion. Also my wife has been very good in allowing me to expand my guitar collection with the addition of a Strat so it was best not to push the matter! Those of you with wives will understand.

Best Wishes
    David
    I really love the look of that first tres. Its like a sports model.

BTW Matt, I just added you as a friend on Myspace. Just accept it man!

Tres Guitars in the UK

Hi All
    I have just ordered a Tres guitar from Nigel at Highly Strung in Wantage. They are the UK importers for Francisco Brothers workshop near Alicante and the good brothers have started making Tres guitars - http://www.guitarrasbros.com/ingles/...rescubano.html

I have added two books about playing the instrument to my music library - Fun with Cuban Tres by Joel Pena (isbn 9780786672929) and El Tres Cubano by Jon Griffin (isbn 0825633249) both books are available on Amazon and both have a CD. Of the two books I prefer the Joel Pena book and CD, just a little more authentic in my opinion.

You can find the Highly Strung web site here - http://www.highlystrung.co.uk/ - but you will need to talk to Nigel as the Tres are not listed but he can get them from the factory. Prices go from just over 300 for the base model to nearly 650 for the all tone woods top model. As a part time tresero I have ordered the basic model, really looking forward to seeing it.

Keep plucking folks.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDome View Post
    Hi All
    I have just ordered a Tres guitar from Nigel at Highly Strung in Wantage. They are the UK importers for Francisco Brothers workshop near Alicante and the good brothers have started making Tres guitars - http://www.guitarrasbros.com/ingles/...rescubano.html

I have added two books about playing the instrument to my music library - Fun with Cuban Tres by Joel Pena (isbn 9780786672929) and El Tres Cubano by Jon Griffin (isbn 0825633249) both books are available on Amazon and both have a CD. Of the two books I prefer the Joel Pena book and CD, just a little more authentic in my opinion.

You can find the Highly Strung web site here - http://www.highlystrung.co.uk/ - but you will need to talk to Nigel as the Tres are not listed but he can get them from the factory. Prices go from just over 300 for the base model to nearly 650 for the all tone woods top model. As a part time tresero I have ordered the basic model, really looking forward to seeing it.

Keep plucking folks.
    It's been a few years, How has that beautiful tres Cubano treated you? Are you playing Cuban music like Cuban son or traditonal salsa?

This tres Cubano converted from a Seagull Parlor Guitar has been a real gem . Note the hand-made custom bridge.