Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Need help in mastering a certain playing technique or style?

Need help in mastering a certain playing technique or style?

When I saw this under "Guitar Technique" I figured this was the place to post my question. I am interested in playing Metal, but not shredding or anything fancy.
    I'm looking for a starting point-chords I need or progressions that I could play with a drummer. Basic Metal type songs, Black Sabbath maybe.
    Any help is appreciated.
    Is your playing where you want it to be?

i cant really help you. just start learning and getting the tabs for the songs you like. try get the rhtym done and if thats ok start the solo.

i cant really say much more.

first of all,

welcome to ibreathe, and yes, you found the right place.

you will be helped - i'm sure about that .

stick around here, use the search engine for topics you are interessted in, and if you think you are totally lost, feel free to pm me and i'll guide you a bit.

there is a "getting started" forum here, maybe just post a more detailed question and i'm sure you'll find what you need!

enjoy!
    Last edited by phantom; 01-13-2005 at 08:41 PM.

Thanks-I'll do that later tonight-

Thumbs up

I read an interview done with Rhandy Rhoads. He was asked for a short lesson that helped with technique.

He replied, "I used to have my students practice hammering up and down the neck, going through all the frets with the four fingers and hitting each string once. Starting at the first fret, I'd have them hammer on each string in succession going down across the fret; then they'd do the same thing moving upward across the second fret, then down across the third fret, and so on."

This quote was taken from a Guitar World interview, August 2004 issue.
    Any opinions on this exercise? I think I will try this one out today, he also said it was a good strength builder.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

I would also include dpong the same exercise across each fret alternately up and down using alternate picking too, rather than just hammering on.

It's a good warm up that way fopr 3nps(notes per string) and 4nps patterns in your practice and for left hand right hand syncopation.

I also used to do the 3 fingers (triplet rhythm pattern) and four finger (semi quaver pattern) ascending and descending on every fret to the 12 fret and back on just the two bottom strings against the metronome, rather than all the way across the fretboard.

cheers, R.

Wish I Could Play Better
    Quote Originally Posted by Modal Vamp
    I read an interview done with Rhandy Rhoads. He was asked for a short lesson that helped with technique.

He replied, "I used to have my students practice hammering up and down the neck, going through all the frets with the four fingers and hitting each string once. Starting at the first fret, I'd have them hammer on each string in succession going down across the fret; then they'd do the same thing moving upward across the second fret, then down across the third fret, and so on."

This quote was taken from a Guitar World interview, August 2004 issue.
    Any opinions on this exercise? I think I will try this one out today, he also said it was a good strength builder.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks
    That is an excellent exercise for strength building. If you're wanting to play metal guitar, Randy Rhoads is a great guy to investigate.

When I use that particular exercise, I use a metronome to keep myself in time, and I go all the way up the neck doing hammer-ons and back down using pull-offs.

As for where to start, I'd say go to Google and look for guitar tabs online (although within the first year of playing I'd also recommend learning to read music so you don't get stuck only being able to play from tabs). Black Sabbath is a good place to start. As was mentioned before, work on the rythm first, when you are comfortable with that (playing with a drummer or the record), move on to working out the solos.

Hope that helps some.

-boxฮดุฐฒฤฮถดฤณฮดุฐฒ
    get tabs for your favorite songs and play them as well as you can. If you encounter specific technique problems repeatingly, work on them. If youre not sure what to work on, just post something on ibreathemusic, we'll help you out.
    "You don't fill somebody's shoes, you come with your own shoes and kick the door down!!!" - Zakk Wylde