Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Book recommendations

Book recommendations

Hey guys. What are some good books for understanding music theory? I've been on Amazon, but I realized that it doesn't really make much sense to buy the books without first consulting people who've used the books.

I'm currently using the Idiot's Guide to Music Theory. So far its pretty good and I'm grasping the concepts better than I was from a lot of online articles.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

Actually, I own that one. lol Got it about a year ago. It was good, though. I am thinking something a little further along than basics of intervals, scales, chord construction,... you know, in depth mid-level theory containing everything from chord harmony to dynamics fairly in depth.

Thanks for your suggestion, though. I appreciate it.

Killer! Sounds pretty good. I'm more of a rock guitarist, but yeah, if the guy says he can teach rock as well as Jazz, I'll check it out. Do you have any suggestions for books aboutsetting up my guitar and changing out pick ups and stuff like that, too?

Quote Originally Posted by PhrygianX
    Killer! Sounds pretty good. I'm more of a rock guitarist, but yeah, if the guy says he can teach rock as well as Jazz, I'll check it out. Do you have any suggestions for books aboutsetting up my guitar and changing out pick ups and stuff like that, too?
    I picked up the Guitar Player Repair Guide by Dan Erlewine, and I would say that it's well worth the cash to pick it up. I do a lot of repair and setups and I haven't come across anything yet that hasn't been at least touched on in the book.

Yeah, I've been told about this book before. It's fairly pricey, but if it's worth the cash, I might as well try it out.

Thanks for the suggestion, bro.