Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Book on Learning Scales?

Book on Learning Scales?

I was wondering if you guys can help me out with finding a good book on scales. I was at Guitar Center this past weekend hoping to find a book on scales and didn't find anything that was thorough enough (imo) to get a good understanding of scales. I'm looking for a book that will cover all/most the different scales and the different keys of those scales in detail (major,minor,penatonic,modes,etc). I've been playing for about 2 years and I've gotten pretty good at playing strumming type songs; however, I feel that not knowing scales and the theory behind scales is paralyzing my progress. Now it's time to stop screwing around and get serious about my playing.

Any suggestion on a good book will be greatly appreciated!!!

Hi,

This is supposed to be a good book for scales and modes, not tried it myself but I have heard it mentiones a few times. It's called the Guitar Grimoire link to Amazon Page below.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

Regards,
    MartinA.

Hello-

I'm gonna have to second that on the Guitar Grimoire, except I would reccomend purchasing it at Guitar Center or online at Musician's Friend, because they sell the book and dvd together for about what most places charge for the book alone.

Good luck!
    -Dan Mulvey

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'm going to order that book and check it out.

I have that book somewhere. I would like to point out that even though it is a very thorough collection of scales and patterns, it does not contain much explanation regarding how to apply scales, harmonical or melodical context, etc.
    Itīs merely a collection of patterns etc. for all kinds of scales. I think a player who has some basic ( or intermediate ) knowledge about how scales work, how to apply them etc will find the book very useful.
    If that knowledge ainīt there yet, I think the book wonīt be all that much helpful to obtain it, and Iīd go for a more basic one that actually explains how to use scales. Or check some articles on that, also.
    So, even though you are looking for a book abotu scales, this book will mainly give you the patterns and formulas, not much advice on how to use them
    Just adding my 2 cents
    Eric

Talking Books for scales

I have searched through hundreds of books for scales when I was starting out and I can guarantee you that there is not a book out there that can give you a 100% info on them, or anywere near that close.I wished i never wasted that money on those books so take my advice you are better off checking out this site below and then posting your questions here were people will help you, it will cost you nothing to ask people who know about the subject and you will more than likely gain a better insight too. You cant ask a book what something inside it means and often they are quite wishy washy and unclear in there explanations anyway. I hope this helps you out though. Also if you are determined to get a book then check out sheetmusic.com it had a couple of books that cought my attention, so you'll be better off looking there and then check out amazon.com they normally have the same book but half the price!

http://www.looknohands.com/chordhous.../index_rb.html

good luck
    Ivanovic