Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Question

Question

I've taken piano lessons and such, and during these lesson I was forced to learn scales, cadences, harmony, etc. All cool and interesting, not exactly what I wanted to do at the time. I also remember How I was taught pieces of music to accompany my mental development. But one thing...

When I practice learning a new piece, I tend to try to learn one phrase or a couple bars at a time. Then piece it together with the larger score. A major problem I've been having is with memory, I can't remember the music very well. I've been trying to learn a lot of classical stuff, Bach in particular, but I can't for the life of me seem to play a 5 or 6 minute piece without having a couple breaks in there where I'm trying to recollect what comes next. I quit my formal music training and just started improvising a lot of blues, now that I'm trying to be a bit more technical, I'm having this problem a lot. Any advice on how to remember classical type scores?

It's basically just remembering the song in your head before you play it on piano. I do the same thing with Moonlight Sonata and Fur Elise. I'm not as good a piano player as I am a guitar player but for the most part I can play about 5 minutes of each of those songs. It's just remembering shapes and patterns that helps me remember what's coming up next. Not to mention if you practice those parts long enough you'll eventually get to a point where you can think about other things while playing.
    v2sw3CUhw6ln3pr6OFck3ma9u6Lw3Xm6l6Ui2Ne5t5TSFDAb8T DOen7g6RZATHCMHPa21s6MSr53Dp3hackerkey