Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: legato question?

legato question?

i recently started trying legato because i needed it for satch songs where u cant AP it. when playing legato just say down the neck or up( like a big satch run or something) im doing ok with the left hand like speed wise and stuff but the right i anint sure what to do! JUST because something is played legato style does not mean your picking hand can be up your pants( .ie doing nothing) so to speak. so if im playing a flast flurry of notes on a legato satch run ,which notes should i pick with the right hand?, would satch just do it once each time he changes strings or on each hammer on pull off or not even use the right hand at all? i hope i make some sense. what do you guys tend to do with the right hand because alothought it is not as important as the left it still has a role does it not?

Well, basically it is down to what suits you best. It is very possible to not pick any notes at all if you have a good legato technique, or to pick just the first note on each string (or even the second, third or fourth to create a more interesting dynamics). I would advise practicing making picked and legato notes the same volume, then it really is down to what is most comfortable for you.

I tend to just pick the first note of every string when going up, but pick nothing on the way down.

fan of the G string curiousgeorge's Avatar
    Go check out the legato articles by Eric V. I'm sure that will clear things up!