Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Sweeping Sorrow

Licensed Moose

Sweeping Sorrow

I have a little problem with my sweeping that I'm wondering if anybody else is having.

My sweeping has been coming on leaps and bounds recently but there is something troubling me. If we had a lick like this:

E-10-7-------7-10--
    B-------8---8------
    G---------7--------
    D------------------
    A------------------
    E------------------

When I play that lick, when I remove my finger from the D note (7th fret G string) the open G string rings out loudly, as if I've pulled off from it. I've had this problem for a while now, and have no other muting or excess sound problems from my sweeping apart from this. Even if I just play that note on it's own, and remove my finger, the open string rings somewhat loudly. I don't think it has anything to do with fretting the strings to strongly for even if I play the note with just enough pressure needed for the note to ring through clearly, it still rings through when I take the fretting finger off. Any tips or advice?

Nick

EDIT: I am a complete donut. Moments after posting this I discovered a somewhat easy way to use my right hand to mute the string whilst still allowing the note to ring through enough to sound good well. Ignore this.
    Last edited by Lowthorpe; 01-23-2005 at 07:49 PM.

Cool

Hey,

I was just going to post a question exactly the same as yours. I am fine with every finger but the ring. If you look at you ring finger do you see the piece of skin on the opposite side of the nail, do you see how it protrudes outwards? Thats your problem! As you take your finger off the string thats what is rubbing the string on the way off the string...damn human hands...arrggghh! However what I have noticed is that if you position this piece od skin slightly over the string you can bypass the problem, the only thing is that Im having to practice this slowly to get used to the adjustment.

I was also going to ask about Malmsteens sweeping tech. How does he sweep. Its difficult to get a good shot at his tech.

hope I helped a bit
    cheers
    Springdude

Once you learn the 3-string major arpeggio sweep then other three string patterns become alot easier to sweep such as the minor, diminished and augmented 3-string sweeps. For example:

e|-----12h15p12-----|-----11h15p11-----|-----12h15p12-----|-----12h15p12-----|
    B|---13--------13---|---13--------13---|---14--------14---|---16--------16---|
    G|-12------------12-|-12------------12-|-12------------12-|-12------------12-|
    D|------------------|------------------|------------------|------------------|
    A|------------------|------------------|------------------|------------------|
    E|------------------|------------------|------------------|------------------|

As you can see once you ge the major shape down with a little more practice you can get the others.
    v2sw3CUhw6ln3pr6OFck3ma9u6Lw3Xm6l6Ui2Ne5t5TSFDAb8T DOen7g6RZATHCMHPa21s6MSr53Dp3hackerkey