Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: How hard do you hold your

How hard do you hold your

Pick? I can only play a lick for about 20 seconds or less before the pick just slides back into my hand. Even if I use gator grips the same thing happens, then if I hold it hard the rest of my hand tenses up. I never used to care about it, I just reposition it but what good does that do. Anyone else have this problem? What should I do?

I know this sounds kinda gross but I just (pretty much unconsciously) lick the pads on my thumb & first finger periodically. Plus I hold the pick *very* close to the tip most of time, which helps too.

Russ

Formal teachers say to hold the pick failrly loosly, but not so that it moves around in your hand. Make a loose fist with your right hand: the bend of the thumb should align with the first bend of the pointer finger (the bend closest to the nail). Slide the pick in this space here, where the bend of the index finger meets the bend of the thumb. Try using a small "jazz" pick, they are very thick and small, they also have gooves in them. I used to have a similar problem, but I was holding my pick wrong. I also use this new kind of pick which helps a lot. I don't really need to apply any pressure at all to hold the pick.

I agree with Mateo. "Try using a small "jazz" pick, they are very thick and small, they also have gooves in them. I used to have a similar problem, but I was holding my pick wrong. I also use this new kind of pick which helps a lot. I don't really need to apply any pressure at all to hold the pick." I used the Tortex green sharpies for years and I could not figure out what was wrong with my picking.. it just was not working. I switched to the tiny dunlop jazz III picks and my picking has improved a lot. When I hold them, it feel very natural and allows me to fully use my hand/wrist/whatever. I would suggest looking into some.

I used to have that prob, but it helped quite a bit when I used a nylon pick with knurling on it.

Then practice & play.................

"In improvised music you easily can tell who is a guitar player and who is a musician." - Maarten (fellow IBMer)

Picking angle and forces

Basically,

Picking is al about the angle that you are playing at. I dont apply a lot of pressure, but I hold it at an angle were The force that I do apply keeps it in place. If you attack the strings from the wrong angle then it will pull the pick out of your grip or spin it round your thumb. I used to rest or hover my picking hand slightly above the bridge to teach myself to keep my picking hand in an angle which follows suit with the strings. When picking up you rely on your index finger for lift and your thub as a guide. When you pick down your thumb is the descending force and your index is the guide. So you generally apply pressure on the force for lift or descent. Keep your wrist relaxed and your hand relaxed. Just train yourself to to apply the right force at the right time and at the right angle. Hope this wasnt too confusing, if I have over complicated anything just ask away.

Good luck
    Springdude

I'll try a few different positions and see but I don't want to use anything like gorilla snot. A stylus pick just came in the post, someone recommended them to me and I thought that I would be able to pick with one just fine but it caught me up on the first lick I tried to play!

Quote Originally Posted by DanF
    I don't like that stuff...lol...I tried it back in the day when I couldn't hold on to my pick and let's put it this way. If you don't practice in solid blocks of time and actualy put the guitar down to go eat something or use the bathroom this stuff can be bothersome. If you don't wash it off then let's put it this way...to many unpleasantries. If you do wash it off then your using more to put it back on and it can become a little pricey...lol.
    v2sw3CUhw6ln3pr6OFck3ma9u6Lw3Xm6l6Ui2Ne5t5TSFDAb8T DOen7g6RZATHCMHPa21s6MSr53Dp3hackerkey

Hey, DanF, This Gorilla Stuff is amazing, huh? Well, anyway: I had the same problem also, not too long ago. My palm ang my fingers were sweating, and because it was wet the pick always slipped outta my hand. There are a few kinds of picks that are sort of "worn off", and if your hand is dry it slips out but if it's wet it stays. E.g This Dunlop Tortex is like that. Since I use this I don't have this problem anymore.

Anyway I don't know which one is this Tiny Jazz pick, but everyone says its the best. So I'l try that.

If the pick keeps sliding "up" on you into your palms, your probably not holding the pick correctly. I've read some of Eric V's articles on this, and he basically says do whats comfortable and natural. But Other teacher's I've had say to hold the pick like I described in my previous post. Rizla, I suspect that your still applying pressure to the pick with the tip part of your index finger, not the outer side of the first joint knuckly on the index finger. Or if you are, your attacking the strings way to hard and without flow. Do you hit strings that you don't mean to hit when you play? If you do, your strumming to hard, relax, tone it down.

The Awesome Brigade
    I had that problem for a brief period of time. I'm not sure how I corrected it, I somewhat changed the way I hold my pick one day. I also hold my pick between by thumb and second finger to allow me to tap without moving the pick much at all. The picks I use are usually 1.5 mm.

I've found that I can only acheive good speed AND sound in combination if I use a Fender heavy triangular pick. But there are several different styles. It has to be the right one.

As for a how tight a grip, I generally think a tight grip is better, just because if the nice clean tone I get from it, but my grip varies. I really watch my teacher closely and I pick up so much from him, just intuitively. He's the fastest picker I've seen, so I'm always watching his right hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    I've found that I can only acheive good speed AND sound in combination if I use a Fender heavy triangular pick.
    As for a how tight a grip, I generally think a tight grip is better, just because if the nice clean tone I get from it, but my grip varies.
    Personally I don't like Fender's picks very much because just like I said if my hand is wet it slips out immediately, and the other thing is that it wears off in a minute, however I don't have a strong pick attack.

As for the tight grip I don't grip it very strongly because then my hand gets stiff and about a few minutes later I have to relax my hand. Especially at high speeds. But that's just what Rizla said.
    Can you spell T-E-N-D-O-N-I-T-I-S?