Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Strictly Ionian?

Modally Challenged!!!! mattblack850's Avatar
    At the bottom of another Bottle of Brown Ale.
    Whoa K, nice tone, phrasing etc..................but.......................... .................

It's a bit short!!!!
    At least we all tried the full length LP version not the EP!!!!!

Youll hafta wait for the Strictly K album .

make sure you spell it correctly or I'll be wanting royalties

Nice flow Koaladude, looks like married life is chillin you out. Cooooool.

Ztreecktly Kay

May favorite part is the ending....what a tasty Cmaj.

Russ, I guess I should take the time to thank ya for the mode threads...real good for the guys here....THANKS!
    Last edited by Koala; 04-17-2005 at 06:52 PM.

I thought the beginning Cmaj blended nicely into the change middle 8...C major. but you're right... i thought the ending on C Major was a top idea.

Hey, it's been my pleasure, enjoyed it all I have. Cheers.

I actually considered going into the whole harmonic consideration of the Cmaj, not the first one but the fourth and last one, but I just know itīs waaaaay over everyones head.

Ill give dorian a shot next week, I think im ready to face two chords hehehe.

LOL.

Cool K, I look forward to that.

No matter how monotonous the backing may sound at the first listen, it is really inspiring if you improvise over it.

I just did a recording. No magic, just a simple recording. Professional? No. Boring? Maybe. I didn't go for anything flashy this time either (not that I could if I would). I focused on the mood and tried to emphasize the Ionian character.

My goal is to be able to play melodies from all the modes. I am getting somewhere on the way now, after trying the Ionian, Lydian, Mixolydian and Dorian. If the technique sounds amateur, it's because it is really not the best. My sense of melody has surpassed my playing abilities, am I afraid. A good thing? Well, not for the technique.

However, have a listen to this mediocre recording and tell me if you recognize the Ionian character I was 'hunting' for.
    Attached Files Attached Files

A-J, I'll check that out this evening, thanks for resurrecting this one. Personally I like this one of mine better than any of the others.

I just wanted to say, and as a discussion I was having with Rudy the other day, have you tried transposing the same melody from mode to mode?

I've been tinkering with it since I started to discuss with Rudy and it's very very intersting exercise to get into.

I'll let him explain more as it was his idea that inspired me to try it. Rudy, over to you, if you get the message. If not I'll try to explain myself.

Quote Originally Posted by UKRuss
    A-J, I'll check that out this evening, thanks for resurrecting this one. Personally I like this one of mine better than any of the others.

I just wanted to say, and as a discussion I was having with Rudy the other day, have you tried transposing the same melody from mode to mode?

I've been tinkering with it since I started to discuss with Rudy and it's very very intersting exercise to get into.

I'll let him explain more as it was his idea that inspired me to try it. Rudy, over to you, if you get the message. If not I'll try to explain myself.
    Well, I used to experiment a bit. Actually, I thought about this today before I saw your post.

For instance, I once decided for a melody in Ionian. Then I played it in each mode, with the corresponding notes. It is for sure an interesting subject.

I had this idea myself about choosing a well-known song and if it's in Aeolian, try to transform it into Dorian etc.

Yeah, thats the one. Interesting exercise.

That's very nice A-J, nice tone, reminds me very much of the Shadows type tone.

Caught some arps in there as well i think, some nice bend to resolve type licks and overall very atmospheric and Ionian in it's nature.

A great Ionian pass.

That's very nice A-J, nice tone, reminds me very much of the Shadows type tone.

Caught some arps in there as well i think, some nice bend to resolve type licks and overall very atmospheric and Ionian in it's nature.

A great Ionian pass.
    Thank you. However, I know it was not that fantastic. That's how it's got to be when you don't lay out a 100 % detailed plan for your playing. On the next strictly I record, maybe I should plan out a little more in order to sound more focused.

Weeeeell, thats the debate isn't it. If you write something it's not really improv. but on the other hand It gives you a basis to work from and return to etc.

It's not a bad idea to write something to focus the mind on the possible harmonies available.

Weeeeell, thats the debate isn't it. If you write something it's not really improv. but on the other hand It gives you a basis to work from and return to etc.

It's not a bad idea to write something to focus the mind on the possible harmonies available.
    Hm, you might be on something. Maybe planning everything will spoil the whole idea. Well, that means I've got to practice my scales and my picking, so it sounds like I have planned everything, when I'm in reality improvising like a madman.