Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Another scale question...lol

Another scale question...lol

Alright...I have made (or used a scale i dont know of) a new scale...please help me find out what it is. Alright...its based off an A dorian, but the D is sharped...so the scale is

A B C D# E F# G

Now...would that be a Dorian #4, or Dorian #5 (Im still not clear on what to go by) do you sharp the note in relation to the parent scale (G major) or the modals Major scale (A major)?

Thanks for all the help again
    -Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by sixstrings121
    Alright...I have made (or used a scale i dont know of) a new scale...please help me find out what it is. Alright...its based off an A dorian, but the D is sharped...so the scale is

A B C D# E F# G
    E harmonic minor

Now...would that be a Dorian #4, or Dorian #5 (Im still not clear on what to go by) do you sharp the note in relation to the parent scale (G major) or the modals Major scale (A major)?
    You add the sharps or flat to the scale degrees in relation to the parallel major scale, in this case A major. This scale would be:

1 2 b3 #4 5 6 b7

Which would be as you said, Dorian #4.

Oooh okay, I get it now...Its made from the E harmonic minor because the 5th of Gmaj is sharped (D#) then the rest is the same, but your starting on A, so it would be A dorian but with the Harmonic minors sharped 5th. Thanks for clearing that up, it really means a lot.

Oooh okay, I get it now...Its made from the E harmonic minor because the 5th of Gmaj is sharped (D#) then the rest is the same, but your starting on A, so it would be A dorian but with the Harmonic minors sharped 5th. Thanks for clearing that up, it really means a lot.
    To Sixstrings ,

As far as scales are concerned , definately think in terms of formulas
    Ionian , (WWHWWWH)No sharp or flatted notes
    Dorian (b3b7)
    Phrigian (b2b3b6b7)
    Lydian(#4)
    Mixo (b7)
    Aeolean (b3b6b7)
    Locrian (b2b3b5b6b7)

As far as Sharped and Flatted keys , keep a Cycle of 4ths and 5th wheel handy, Gmaj has one sharp ,DMaj has two so... on and so fourth

Definately find a "Method book "to study from , as well as Checking out the articles on i Breathe (shameless plug)
    ________
    Live Sex
    Last edited by Sir Speedy; 09-15-2011 at 09:26 AM.

I think about the D# as being the leading tone, or the natural 7 in E minor, rather than a #5 in G major. While yes, the note is a #5 in G major, the scale is E minor and the whole reason that the D# is there in the first place is because it leads to the tonic, E, and it creates a V - I (D# is the third of the V chord, B) in the key of E minor.

I sort of find it easier to think of Modes as a Major scale but emphasising on the different notes (If your in E phrygian, improvise in C major but use E as the tonic). And it's easier for me to think of things from Major scales instead of thinking as a Minor scale as a whole new scale...I hope I'm making sense lol. Should I relearn it with formulas? And how do you think I should learn the modes...the parallel way or the other way?

I sort of find it easier to think of Modes as a Major scale but emphasising on the different notes (If your in E phrygian, improvise in C major but use E as the tonic). And it's easier for me to think of things from Major scales instead of thinking as a Minor scale as a whole new scale...I hope I'm making sense lol. Should I relearn it with formulas? And how do you think I should learn the modes...the parallel way or the other way?
    I think the parallel approach is best as it shows how each note functions on a particular chord the best.

However, there often isn't just one way of thinking about things, and if there is more than one way, don't limit yourself to just one approach. The more ways you have to think about something, the deeper of an understanding you will have about it. Try studying and using a combination of approaches and allow them to work in synergy.

So should I think of the Minor scales as an altered major scale, or just the relative major's major scale? For example, should I compare things in Em to the E major scale, or should I just think of it as the G major scale but starting on a different note? Sorry if I'm not making any sense at all lol.

-Kevin