Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Rack units or pedals?

Rack units or pedals?

im a bit in the fog about rack units (isn't that great) for the three years i have been playing i have really only known pedals , then all i hear is talk about rack units and what not. but for playing a show it seems more feasible to me to use pedals. infact i have had my eye on that new pod live pedal(anyone have any input on that?). can people tell me what racks have to offer? is it just a personal preferance thing? and for amps, the amps on board distortion (if it gives you the sound you want , with a foot switch) or a distortion pedal. thats another thing , I dont really work to well with distortion pedals, I can always get the amps distortion to where I want but when it comes to pedals , you get the idea. although my friend did have a tech 21 pedal that had AWESOME distortion ......its just 170 freaking bucks.

People seem to be getting good results from POD and Johnson J Station
    You can record direct with them and they come with computer software

Digitech has Good rack gear .

If you know someone who is getting a good sound go buy that , then have them show you how to tweek the EQs and Stack the Effects , and stuff , Good luck with it
    ________
    Headshops
    Last edited by Sir Speedy; 09-15-2011 at 08:26 AM.

Rack gear can be very useful. Let's say for example you have about 50 different effects pedals on the floor each controlling a certain sound, like distorsion, chorus, flanger, phaser, pitch shifting, wah, compression, delay, echo, octave, fuzz, overdrive etc etc. Well the floor can become pretty cluttered. Now lets say there's a certain part in a song that requires a little bit of flange, some extra distorsion, some octave, and a small pitch shift. Well if your already playing a certain part it could take you some time to dial in everything and hit the buttons on all the pedals. It can get QUITE confusing and messy.

Well this is where rack mounts come in handy. Pretty much every rackmout I have seen nowadays comes with something called MIDI which mean you can go out and buy a MIDI footcontroller and have real time control over all of the rack mounted equipment. The MIDI foot controller just saves certain settings into each memory slot and dials them up and enables them for each push of a button. That's why most people who have rack units also have some sort of MIDI controller somewhere near by. Either that or they really have no need for a MIDI controller becuz they don't have that much.

The PODxt Live is a very nice pedal and is very easily worth the $400 IMHO. I would say go to your local guitar dealer and see if you can test it out. Make your own judgement by using it. What may sound good to some people may not sound good to you.

Also, not to be a stickler or anything but if I'm not mistaken isn't this a Gear Question? Koala, Phantom, or someone else please correct me if I'm wrong. Either way I'll post my answer.
    v2sw3CUhw6ln3pr6OFck3ma9u6Lw3Xm6l6Ui2Ne5t5TSFDAb8T DOen7g6RZATHCMHPa21s6MSr53Dp3hackerkey

yes i suppose it is a gear question , sorry guys, my mistake. thanks for all your help though ! like I said im not familiar with racks and definatley "midi" stuff . if you could clear up what exactly is meant when you say "real time" all the basic midi stuff I should have known , that would be great .