Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stricktly blues

stricktly blues

i wanted to start a thread where those that love the blues can gather. i was surprised that blues, which is probably the most influencial form of musc, wasn't really represented in this forum.

i have been looking for some tab for savoy brown, especially the album "lookin' in" kim simmonds has some killer jazzy blues riffs that i just can't figure out. if any one could give me a hand, or anything blues related, i would appriciate it.

I absolutely love the blues.

i was surprised to see all the blues bashing on this site. for its simplicity and all. i think that it is its predictability that makes it great. anyone that knows the blues can jam with anyone who knows the blues. being able to make the ordinary extrordinary. thats were the real talent lies

Blues bashing? I haven't seen that. Sure some people feel that fast playing is cooler, but where would modern rock be without blues? The critique stems from the fact that there are so many young and inexperienced guitarists who denies the usefulness of practice, hiding behind the "it makes the music loose the feeling" dogma.

As a jazz kind of guy, I also pay respect to those who can play the blues well. The roots of jazz lie in Blues. Blues is indeed harder than most people think, as you can't hide behind fancy harmonies when you are going to make melodies.

Wha?!?!?

Are you sure you've looked through all the forums properly?

I guess by your spelling of Stricktly...you've seen the strickly pentatonic thread which was a blues based penta learning idea swapping type thread I put together, and by the response it got I would say the support for blues was huge!

I love blues and play it alot but I also like other forms of guitar too...well all forms really,I just love the instrument.

But any time you wanna discuss blues or blues related stuff just let us know, I'm sure you'll find an excellent response.

if you have any specific questions regarding your learning to play the blues or blues playing in general etc, then feel free to post away, I think you'll find a good response from blues lovers across the site.

Welcome as well by the way!

i guess "blues bashing" was a poor choice of words. my point was that most people on this site are in search of the holy grail that is shredding. shredding is the hardest to do, at least physically. however, music is not an athletic event. i love it when a guitarist, or any musician for that matter, plays just enuf to get the job done (i.e. carlos santana, kim simmonds). i have seen alot of praise for the blues, but it is usually followed by a critisism for predictability.

hey factor, you say your a jazz/blues guy? well if you haven't already check out an album called "lookin' in" by Savoy Brown. it is my favorite album of all time. kim simmonds is a jazz guitarist with a heavy blues lean. its not too easy to find but its worth it.

p.s.
    don't mind my spelling. alot of the time i am posting at 3 or 4 in the morning with a solid buzz. plus i have the grammatical skills of a third grader.

Another blues fan checkin' in.
    Welcome aboard 12bar !
    Yes, there are a lot of shredders here. Not too surprising, it's demanding work with a lot of technique to learn. They're all good folks, though and I rarely see any "bashing" going on here.

As for me, I'm constantly comming back to a blues-ish type thing, to learn something, (I couldn't 'shred' to save my life).

.....There's lot's to learn here,......like how to spell strictly

-best,
    Mike

everybody keeps making fun of my version of english. i'm seriously going to put a disclaimer on the bottom of my posts. i appreciate your concern for my prowess with the written language, i am aware of my "disability" and have learned to accept it.

Sorry 12bar, just a little joke (hence the smiley face - ).
    I actually wanted to pick on UKRuss a bit too - - 'nuther smiley face -

-best,
    Mike, (not an expert in anything, least of all music or english)

OK, here my take on a 12 bar blues in G.

This is definitely not a shred blues....lol
    It's just me fooling around with cheezy ol' Band-in-theBox, mistakes and all.
    Attached Files Attached Files

That's a cool piece ! You're using some of the things I'm trying to learn, (like how use some altered notes and make 'em sound good).

Thanks Russ !

that piece has a real nice jazz feel (i don't mean to repeat my self but check out "lookin' in" by Savoy Brown), what scales are you using. thats where i am lacking the most. i am real good with your classic blues scale, but i never really tried learning any other scales. all in due time.
    "WIDDILY WIDDLY WHAAAA, yea I wrote that. It's called 'I Wanna Rock Your Body'." -Carl, aqua teen

I wasn't thinking to "scalarly" when I played that....lol

If I had to give a simplified explanation of what I was doing, I would say:

Over the I7 chord, mixture of G mixolydian, G minor pentatonic, some chromaticism. Throughout, you'll hear lots of "side-slipping" .

Approaching the IV7, some 1/2 whole diminished stuff.

Over the IV7, outlined the chord quite a bit, more side slipping.

Over the VI7, mainly nailed chord tones.

Over the iim7-V7-I7, a lot of times, I try to play pretty inside of the iim7, and if I can, I like to continue the idea over the V7, while using more altered tones to do it.

Here's a real easy way to sound hip over the iim7-V7:

Play a little phrase from the the minor pentatonic starting on the iim7's 5th - in this case - E pentatonic.
    Next, over the V7 chord (D7) play the same thing or something similar from the minor pentatonic starting on the major 3rd of the D7, in this case F pentatonic. This is super-conveinient because those 2 pent just happen to be a 1/2 step away from each other so it's real easy to get creative.

Then, for the turnaround just play ....whatever!

There's lots you can do to make it more interesting, like continuing ideas past where it sounds like you should be "going home", like on the iim7-V7-I7, keep continuing your idea through the I7, even though it sound "out", it can sound really cool.

Central Scrutinizer
    That was cool.

But you did lose me on the Major 3rd of D7 thing.
    I assuming there's a typo there someplace, or I wasn't cleat what you intended.
    Major 3rd of D7 would be F# which would be a whole step from E
    so I'm assuming you either meant
    1) a minor 3rd from D (dm7) v7 of G Mixo (Which I'm guessing you meant)
    2) or F# pen minor and a whole step from E (in which case you do have a D7 chord)
    "All other things being equal, the simplest solution is usually the correct one." William of Occam

The Bash -

Aahh! TYPO ALERT! TYPO ALERT!
    You're right and thanks for the correction! Let's see if I can make it through this explanation without any mistakes - I haven't poured my coffee yet!

Playing over the D7 chord: a *minor* 3rd from the root (F), you play F minor pentatonic. This is a common way of producing D7's altered tones (b9, #9, #5)

Another thing I did for the iim7-V7, was playing a minor pent. from the root of the Am7, (A minor pent) and then side-slip that up to Bb minor pent over the D7 chord to give it some tension....

COFFEE TIME!!