Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Heres my top 5...

Heres my top 5...

...most annoying distractions whilst trying desparatly to practice guitar.

at no. 5 - someone or member of family that constantly wanders aimlessly around.

4. that sneaky increasing of the television volume slightly as if your meant to get the hint.

3. someone humming or singing the lyrics to a song they THINK you were playing but werent.

2. washing machines, doors, clocks, phones etc...

and for no. 1 - the absolute classic! someone mimicking the notes as you tune up. AARRRGGHHH!!

glad that i found this place, i really needed to vent all that

-dave

hey dave!

welcome to ibreathe!

how about a brief introduction in the new members forum?

to give you a short tipp that might solve your problem is: work on your concentration!
    a quick forcast: you won't get distractet with things like those you mentioned.
    sounds perfect doesn't it!?

if you can do this well you can filter all distractions - and if you are perfect with it you can alter that filter to your needs and, let's say let phone calls go through it... or the sound of the pizza delievery car.

p.s.: make sure to go through the ibreathe rules & guidelines for a happy future.
    Last edited by phantom; 02-21-2005 at 10:37 AM.

hi, thanks for the welcome...
    okay here goes, names dave just come out of uni so im broke with lots of free time and am currently a slave labouer for every employment agency under the sun at the mo , so im tryin to give my guitar the dedication it needs been playin for about 6 years. havent been lookin for a band but i NEED the practice!

and thats me in a nutshell. help im in a nutshell...

yeah i do find i need an empty house to really get into the mood of playing. which isnt all that good coz i need to build my confidence as far as having an audience is concerned.

Have you ever heard a sax player practicing his/her circular breathing?

I thought I had experienced what it meant to be annoyed before that, but holy jeez is that an awful experience.

Constant, very loud, single note, that couldn't be called a drone because it warbles around every 10 seconds or so.

one way to solve all your problems...buy a cheapo pair of headphones and use them when you practice! i dont know about u but when im shredding away i close my door and do it privately and none distracts me, lol. maybe you live in a small house and everyones around you. oh wel..

Aspiring Virtuoso
    Quote Originally Posted by satch_master
    one way to solve all your problems...buy a cheapo pair of headphones and use them when you practice! i dont know about u but when im shredding away i close my door and do it privately and none distracts me, lol. maybe you live in a small house and everyones around you. oh wel..
    i use headphones as well. i use expensive ones which are RF ones so i can walk about while playing. i can plug it in directly to my boss me-50 so there is no need for an amp.

i use it for practicing rusty cooley legato workout (sounds horrible) or mindless shredding. but when i play melodically w/ clean setting i use no headphone and use amp instead.

i REALLY recomend headphones no-one can hear you playing some hard lick at ridiculously slow speed. great for practicing

i use it for practicing rusty cooley legato workout (sounds horrible) or mindless shredding. but when i play melodically w/ clean setting i use no headphone and use amp instead.
    hey there,
    headphones are cool!
    i guess i practiced half of my life underneath those earwarmers.

but arpetude, why do you make a difference between clean and distortion practicing?
    and why do you shred mindlessly ?

Headphones for me too.. but one needs to be triple careful not to overdo the volume with the source at close proximity. Sorry I didn't hear you..?

I often put them on when I get David's No. 5 - why is that person walking around so much?? Also, when I think - "hell I suck, someone in the street might hear me"...

i had a sax once, and i had that exact same problem. practicing on guitar has nowhere near as loud as starting out on a saxophone. if you mess up one of those long practice notes its sounds horrible - like a duck being strangled.

i had one set of headphones that were infa red, which were great if you wanted to play standing up(and jumping round- whatever floats your boat) but i have such a box of a bedroom it seemed a bit daft bothering with them so now i just use the regulars.

how you do define a good headphone volume?

i never seem to hear on the headphones until its too loud. i'm ending with ear pains way too often for my tastes.
    Edwin Land: Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity.

Wish I knew... I use headphones a lot to maintain domestic harmony and I try to be really careful to keep it sensible - but when I get carried away ripping out Purple Haze......

I think the issues are that with regular CD's the music is compressed to a certain dynamic range - so as long as your sensible theres no surprises. But, with playing guitar, using drum m/c's etc. the dynamic range can be much larger and the level of attention is greater - so because of the first the peaks in volume can be way above the average and because of the second you want it louder anyway.

Just remember that every time you get any ringing in your ears you did some permanent damage. The other factor is that you build up a tolerance to a certain level of sound and then you keep pushing it louder....

Quote Originally Posted by ashc
    Just remember that every time you get any ringing in your ears you did some permanent damage. The other factor is that you build up a tolerance to a certain level of sound and then you keep pushing it louder....
    !?!?!??!
    PANIC!!!!
    Edwin Land: Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity.