Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: What music schools?

What music schools?

Hi guys!

I really think that I want to have a year or two in a guitar/music school after high school. I really want to make it, I think my heart is moving me.

But there's a little problem...

I explored both Berklee's and the GIT's website. All was cool, all was like in a dream,... till I saw how much I gotta pay. About 7 thousand dollars in a quarter year? Guuuuuys, somebody tells me it's not much and I will lick his ***.

So I'm looking for a guitar/music school that's affordable!!! What I mean is: Post your suggestions please about schools you know, and that YOU think is affordable.

I don't want dirty money to stand between me and my dreams. (Hey this was a bit too sentimental but I guess you caught the meaning)

Please post your ideas what could be my place, no matter on which part of the world it is located(I mean, I can still afford a plane ticket).

Of course, and please don't send me tips about places where music lessons are: "Well take this sheet music, your exam at the end of year will be to be able to play this one page"... Erhm, so I need a REAL music school

Thank you guys!
    Can you spell T-E-N-D-O-N-I-T-I-S?

Check out ACM at Guildford here in the UK, I think it might be a tad cheaper...not sure though.

Looks like a place for younger dudes than me

I am not very nice DemonSorcerer's Avatar
    Well, Bande...

There's this institute called AIM....Australian institute of music...they seem to be good...not as popular as Berklee or GIT, but they must be good...there's this guy called Chris Brooks, he attended that institute...gosh, he's a monster guitarist...you should check his album, 'cause it's really IMPRESSIVE.

I'm planning to pursue a Master in Arts Managing as soon as i finish my Major in Advertising and Public Relations (that's next year), and i will attend AIM...It's not as expensive as GIT or Berklee...for example, the whole tuition fee (i mean, the whole Master in Arts Managing programme) is US$ 8000 +/-, plus the enrollment fee...another $100... so that's 8200 US$ for 15 months...pretty fair, isn't it??

http://www.aimusic.com.au/

David
    Last edited by DemonSorcerer; 02-26-2005 at 06:57 AM.

My advice would be to check out stuff more locally in and around where you live. It says you're from Hungary, so I'm not sure of the scene over there, but in my neck of the woods you could attend a local college and you're gonna find some awesome teachers. Guys you've never heard of that are monster players that took a more settled down approach of having a steady job rather then being a down and dirty muscian for their whole lives (most were down and dirty at some point)

My philosophy on music school and finding advanced teachers is...You could take lessons from your all time idle (whomever that may be) and do you know what he'd probably tell you to do? He'd probably tell you to really get down your modes and arpeggios. So, anyone could tell you to do that. My view on these real expensive schools and teachers that are internationally known is...take lessons from these guys and attend these schools when your good enough that making it to their level becomes a very real possibility.

Until then...anyone could tell you to learn your modes and arpeggios.

Mod
    I'm attending a local college, I believe you get what you make out of school. You can make it as hard or as easy on yourself as you desire. THe harder it is, the more you'll walk away with. I think you can walk away with just as much from a local college, as you could from a music school. If they have a decent music program.

Too bad the AIM in Vienna ( American Institute of Music ) doesnīt exist anymore. That wouldnīt be too far away from you. The guitar department was headed by GIT-graduate Todd Duane ( killer player ) at first, and later by Joey Tafolla ( I am pretty sure you heard of him )
    That school doesnt exist anymore though.

Maybe you wanna look into this one: http://www.vgi.at/index.html
    I donīt know much about it, but I figured you might wanna check it out
    Hope this helps
    Eric

This thread was heading for trouble, not to mention off-topic, so I removed the straying posts.

Please note that discrimination, on any level, is not permitted in these forums. Please bear this in mind when chosing your adjectives...

Rule #3

Thanks,

Clive

My goodness...
    The thread was still getting into further trouble.

Please note Rule #8 and RULE #3 AGAIN:
    Code:

8. DONīT ARGUE WITH THE MODERATORS ( AT LEAST NOT IN THE FORUMS )

The moderators are here to assist members and ensure the smooth running 
    of the forums. It's their job to enforce the rules. <...>
    Do not dispute a moderators decision or argue with them in the forums.
    Thread still open...
    Last edited by Zatz; 02-28-2005 at 11:29 AM.
    Zadd9 -> A6 -> T#9b5 -> Zmaj7

I apologise for my part in the flaming.

I'd been to watch the cup final, had a few beers, and prolly should have just kept my gob shut.

No offence to any one individual was intended.

I still think my point is valid!

For the people that want to go to school, but have the mentality "I'm going to play what I want to play no matter what," you're going to end up dropping out. You have to do things that at the time are extremely tedious, but it opens up your musical options and is important for musical growth.

If you want to go to music school be sure to be ready for work and work that isn't in your favorite style.

passionately calm
    avoid berklee.

Check into Duquesne, WVU, Capital, York COllege of Pennsylvania, Wheaton, James Madison, etc (those are some in my area)
    I quit shaving
    but the eyes that glanced at me
    remained in the mirror.

-Alan Ginsberg

Quote Originally Posted by AyKay
    avoid berklee.
    Just wondering if you can elaborate on your view. I know berklee is expensive and sometimes gets blown out of proportion (or should I say often does) as the only place to go if you're gonna make it...but do you have any specific experience that has led you to this view?

I just thought it might be usefull because all I ever hear is people preaching on about how berklee is the only place to be...might be nice to hear from someone on the other side of the fence.

Eey, guys!

Thx for all the advices, I'll check those out. Thx.
    Can you spell T-E-N-D-O-N-I-T-I-S?