Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legato and Tapping

Legato and Tapping

Hello fellow Ibreathers!

I was wondering if someone could be so kind as to post some NICE SOUNDING tapping and legato routines to biuld up my skills? Iīm totally new at tapping and I need some nice legato (trills, hammers and pulls, sliding, bending.. dunno if itīs all legato though...) excersices to build up my finger strength (pinky ).

I suspect there are some articles on these subjects so please direct me and Iīll show myself the way out

As well as the fantastic articles there is a lesson on the powertabs.net site under lessons that is a mega-tapping and legato lesson. Also I find taking legato lines from Satch and Vai songs and practicing them, as well as their tappings lines along with EVH's are a good place to start.

legato

Here's an idea I came up with for developing legato as well as
    stretching/warm-up exercise for the left hand.

It's in the key of A, starting at the 12 fret of the high E string and
    it's built upon the A minor Pentatonic and A Blues scale.
    If you don't feel comfortable playing it in the Key of A, try start
    playing it in a different (higher) position first.
    As always, focus on playing it as slow and precise as possible
    at first.
    Alternate picking works too, but for stretching/warm-up it's
    better played legato, and I think it sounds better.

On the clip I first play it slow using AP, then the same legato, and
    finally up to speed.

I hope it's fun and can add to some of your own ideas.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I am not very nice DemonSorcerer's Avatar
    Juest check out Brett Garsed's Rock Fusion Video...he's a LEGATO MASTER...he has a unique approach to legato...since he doesn't pull off...but instead he hammers on all the notes in his descending lines...not to mention his very, VEFRY light picking he just hits the string with enough strenght to make the note sound at the same volume of his hammered notes...he just lifts his finger and slams the next one down against the fretboard...pretty interesting... and AMAZING...

David

Some songs for increasing your tapping abilities:

Joe Satriani - Midnight (might seem a little stunning at first but take it slow and you will notice that its not as hard as it appears)

Extreme - He-man woman hater (solo) or Get the funk out (solo) Both have the authentic Bettencourt string skipping tapping arpeggios licks. Sounds and looks really cool!

For legato I'm not sure what songs you are used to playing but the following songs all have great 'licks' to get your legato up to speed (and accurate fcourse):

Joe Satriani - Always With me, Always with you (try learning all the fast slurry bits, it will improve you!)

Steve Vai - Tender Surrender (this one is a though not only speedwise but even more rhythmicly (sp???) but you can take it slow, cause this song has really challenging legato pieces in it which all together sound great)
    Hope this is what you are looking for!

Greets, Buebo.

(ps: check out richie kotzen's rock chops instructional video for some REALLY scary legato!)

Buebo has some GREAT examples of tapping. Also check out Van Halen (doh!), specifically Eruption, Spanish Fly, and Hot For Teacher (intro).
    -Bizarro
    Google is your friend

Quote Originally Posted by DemonSorcerer
    Juest check out Brett Garsed's Rock Fusion Video...he's a LEGATO MASTER...he has a unique approach to legato...since he doesn't pull off...but instead he hammers on all the notes in his descending lines...not to mention his very, VEFRY light picking he just hits the string with enough strenght to make the note sound at the same volume of his hammered notes...he just lifts his finger and slams the next one down against the fretboard...pretty interesting... and AMAZING...

David
    Agreed, also check out pretty much anything by Allan Holdsworth for inspiration. (Brett uses the same or very similar technique as Allan as far as I know)

There is also a lesson in the new Guitar One with Richie Kotzen. It has a lot of cool legato licks in it.
    There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls!

I am not very nice DemonSorcerer's Avatar
    You should also check out Angra's Kiko Loureiro...His playing is superb, and he is a master of legato lines...even picking, 'cause he picks the strings really lightly...you barely notice when he's alternate picking...really, really smoth....if you're into Fusion, be sure to check out Allan Holdsworth...another legato monster...weird, unusual-sounding legato licks, usually mixed with seemingly impossible finger stretches....

David

well just learn the tapping lick from metallica's one is easy but it builds ur fingers up

Quote Originally Posted by fader198
    There is also a lesson in the new Guitar One with Richie Kotzen. It has a lot of cool legato licks in it.
    Hello !! Please can you tab this lesson for us ????...
    Thanks.
    Regards

fan of the G string curiousgeorge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kotzen
    Hello !! Please can you tab this lesson for us ????...
    Thanks.
    Regards
    There's this little thing called 'copyrighted material'..... Read the forum rules.....
    Karma Chameleon...You come and go...You come and go, oh..........MAKE UP YOUR MIND!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by curiousgeorge
    There's this little thing called 'copyrighted material'..... Read the forum rules.....
    ???????????????????......????????????????
    jejejejeje i donīt understand this "kind of people" that replay with these comentaries... man if you write an exercise or tab on powetab, for example, i think is NOT ilegal, this NOT make money or business, itīs only an exercise...hmmmm... on this web there are a lot of exercises and too tabs from many guitar players and man ĄĄitīs NO ilegal!!, there are only exercises for practicing, for help to other guitar players like you and me... There are many transcribers, awesome transcribers, that help us with amazing tabs from great guitar players like Kotzen, Holdsworth, Vai...etc.. is it ilegal??...

And man i know the rules thanks.

Anyway,
    Cheers.

fan of the G string curiousgeorge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kotzen
    ???????????????????......????????????????
    jejejejeje i donīt understand this "kind of people" that replay with these comentaries... man if you write an exercise or tab on powetab, for example, i think is NOT ilegal, this NOT make money or business, itīs only an exercise...hmmmm... on this web there are a lot of exercises and too tabs from many guitar players and man ĄĄitīs NO ilegal!!, there are only exercises for practicing, for help to other guitar players like you and me... There are many transcribers, awesome transcribers, that help us with amazing tabs from great guitar players like Kotzen, Holdsworth, Vai...etc.. is it ilegal??...

And man i know the rules thanks.

Anyway,
    Cheers.
    Actually it is illegal, and if you read the forum rules, then you would know that this site does not allow for the posting of copyrighted material. The people who transcribe tabs in those Vai, Kotzen tab books etc... have special permission from the publisher to do so, and have paid a large chunk of cash to them as well. If you copy note for note something that is published, then you leave yourself open to legal action from the publisher, as well as being banned from this site. And speaking of powertabs being legal, one of the Editor's of a very well known and popular guitar mag has mentioned the possibility of legal action against the powertabs people for copyright infringements from tabs lifted directly from their magazine. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, it's just reality. End of story.
    Last edited by curiousgeorge; 03-28-2005 at 08:48 PM.
    Karma Chameleon...You come and go...You come and go, oh..........MAKE UP YOUR MIND!!!!!!!!!!

Well for those who would like some decent powertabs of legato excersizes and such just go ahead and email me. I'll just send them as email attachments.

Most of the powertabs I do have have been made by me or are powertabs that are public domain. I have tabs such as Buckhethead, Meshuggah, and various others. I also have the Dream Theaters tabs for "Train of Thought" which were tabbed even before the tab book, or even the CD for that matter were out.
    v2sw3CUhw6ln3pr6OFck3ma9u6Lw3Xm6l6Ui2Ne5t5TSFDAb8T DOen7g6RZATHCMHPa21s6MSr53Dp3hackerkey